What's wrong with my bubble?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Siddique, Jun 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

It started off as a big, beautiful bubble. Soon to be the center piece of my tank and then this:
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    At first I thought too much light so I moved it. It just continued to deteriorate.
    Pieces of flesh is still falling off. and only about 1/4 of the coral looks alive.

Should I dip in lugol's solution. What other ways could I try to save this coral? or should I just leave it alone?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

mine does too! i would really like to know the answer myself!?!?

1 person likes this.
  4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I would try a lugol's solution. Do you see any areas with "brown jelly" like stuff on it? I've had this happen to a bubble of mine too. It was one of my favorite corals.

1 person likes this.
  5. divott

divott Giant Squid

unfortunately sid, i think its a goner. mine did that too. the skeleton started showing like that, after looking totally amazing. i hope yours recovers tho.

guy

6. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

I'll give it a try tomorrow.
    Hummmm. I was hoping that the necrosis would stop.
    Any idea what causes this to happen to a bubble?

7. Zombie

Zombie Plankton

Bubbles are some of the weirdest lps. Ive heard and seen alot of bubbles doing great for a long time and then just dying back like yours for no apparent reason. In the ones that did thrive the only thing that was different was that the tank was either stocked with lots of fish or the guys fed them 2-3 times a week with some frozen food.
    It can probably still be saved if the necrosis stops and its not brown jelly. A dip and moving it to a lesser flow area with some feeding can help

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

i've had my bubble for a long time. one time it started to pull from the skeleton, turns out the flow was too strong on a side. I moved flow around to keep the bubble in a very gentle flow and it healed up completely.

They like low flow. The lower the better for it. Just a tick over stagnant is great.

10. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

I'm not seeing any brown jelly thus far. It's in a pretty low flow area of the tank.

So if this bubble begins to heal, will all the tissue grow back over the skeleton?
    I do have it in a very low flow area. Close to stagnant.

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

mine did, but it was no where near as severe as yours

1 person likes this.
  12. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

I don't know what the cause is, but a similar phenomenon happened to me with my green bubble. It was much more severe than yours, to the point where only the skeleton remained, visibly. I left it in my tank for about a month after this, just because I was too lazy to throw it out, and lo and behold, after about 4-6 weeks I noticed new bubbles forming. It has now been about 9 months since then, and the skeleton has completely re-colonized with new bubbles. Don't ask me how or why. So don't give up on it.

1 person likes this.