Whats with my params??

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by chelonianraces, Dec 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

That's a bit misleading in that it doesn't apply to all situations. In a large tank with fish, the corals, inverts, CuC, etc will feed on leftover food and detritus and therefore help reduce the bioload by producing less waste than what they consume. In a fishless system where they will need to be target-fed, they become the bioload, as they do still produce waste.

2. Click Here!

3. chelonianraces

chelonianraces Flamingo Tongue

So i tested yesterday and here are my params,, getting pretty good in there..

Ammonia / 0 ppm
    Nitrites / 0.3 ppm
    Nitrates / 5-10 ppm (colors hard to read)

All other params are fine.

I now see that that's a mini cycle because i added the rock, but didn't expect things to go that high.

4. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

Glad to hear things are leveling out. You didn't originally cycle the tank with fish, right? Just the rock and food? The problem is your tank did fully cycle, but only for a minimal bio-load. Then when you increased the bio-load, it cycled again. That's exactly why I'm still old school and cycle with damsels, at a rate of 2 fish per 5 gallons. When the cycle is finished, you end up with a much larger bio-load capacity. Yeah, you may lose a couple in the process, so just don't get too attached to any of them until the tank is cycled! The ones that make it will be very strong and healthy, and make very nice reef inhabitants. The downside is that you'll be very limited as to what "new" fish you can add because the damsels will "own" the tank. Not an issue for me because I usually don't add anything but corals from there on out. I got away with adding one Watchman Goby this time around, and he held his own until the damsels accepted him. Now he rules them!