Whats with my params??

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by chelonianraces, Dec 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chelonianraces

chelonianraces Flamingo Tongue

I'm using API and Tetra, both state it can be used in freshwater and saltwater, and API Test kits come with 2 colour chart cards 1 for SW and 1 for FW.

2. Click Here!

3. TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden 3reef Sponsor

Did some of your cleanup crew die or something on the mushroom rock die to cause a mini-cycle?

4. chelonianraces

As far as i see nothing died, the mushroom rock i examined very well and it only had a blue mushroom and some coralline.

What should i do now? a large ..% water change?

5. chelonianraces

bump - should i do a water change???????????

6. TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden 3reef Sponsor

Water changes are the standard remedy but if I read this correctly you have been doing them and it isn't helping. Only other suggestion I have is to run carbon and/or add something like Prime to reduce the ammonia then let it finish cycling again before adding anything else.

When you mix up your saltwater for water changes, do you add a dechlorinator or let it mix a few days for the chlorine to dissipate?

7. chelonianraces

I do use Tetra dechlorinator and let salt mix overnight.

Just a FYI i had 0 ammonia after the first waterchange but had a 0.3 nitrite while nitrates we're 10, after i did another 50% to reduce nitrites my ammonia rised to 0.10, nitrite 1.6 and nitrate 60, but not instantly.. funny isn't it? if that makes sense!

8. Click Here!

9. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

When you say during your cycle your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate gone to zero, do you mean they spiked and then went back down to zero or just stayed at zero?

Maybe your tank didn't really spike until you added the CUC and mushroom rock? And the larger spike now could be from the die off on the rock?

10. chelonianraces

No i have cycled for 2 months ammonia was 8 ppm and nitrites off the chart, i did an end of cycle WC 50% when they all went down to zero and nitrates was also off chart but dropped to 10 ppm, is that natural?

So right now i can only wait for my params to stable at 0, i shouldn't add anything right? would my CUC be fine with these levels?

11. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

If they spiked and went down to zero, that sounds normal. And then nitrates are removed through water changes.

I know snails are pretty hardy when it comes to swings in ph and salinity, but ammonia is a killer on them. I'm sure they will have no issues surviving the high nitrites and nitrates, but the ammonia is another story.

If your tank is truly done with cycling, you could always add some prime which I believe turns ammonia into ammonium, which is not toxic. It will still show up on your tests and would need to get removed through water changes.

12. chelonianraces

How come my nitrates dropped from 160 to 10 ppm BEFORE i do the end of cycle water change? i was really patient and it took 2 months to fully cycle my tank, i can say the tank is properly cycled.

Thanks i will go to the LFS and get some prime.

And what about hermit crabs- brittle stars? :confused:

Thanks...