What's up with this?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by heidimi, Nov 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. heidimi

heidimi Fire Shrimp

This is an acro I got about a year ago and in the last month or so it started doing this. At first I thought it had been stung. It had fallen onto an acan and a tiny part of one of the tips looked pretty bad. But now as you can see its loosing a ton of flesh from the tips first. I am dipping it in coralrx today hoping if it's a parasite that will kill it. What else should I do? Break off nasty tips? Any ideas what is happening exactly is it the slow tissue narcosis, meaning it is most likely a lost cause?
    Any help
    Thanks!
    Heidi

2. Click Here!

3. heidimi

heidimi Fire Shrimp

Whoops forgot to put picture... There you go...

Attached Files:

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hey Heidi,

That is a tough one. I would of course check parameters and possible swings.

Did a neighboring coral growing too large and obstruct flow? Or is the coral located near where you top off or dose?

Unfortunately I would just start fragging an hope for the best.

Good Luck

5. heidimi

heidimi Fire Shrimp

I am wondering too about swings. I dose into my sump and top off and the outlet is right above this guy. It did get stung by the acan. Maybe this stressed it and it spread??? Good to hear it doesn't look like redbugs or anything. Thanks! Anyone else have any suggestions?

Heidi

6. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

Heres what I would do. Instead of saying asap 100 times in this reply, I will just say it now. ASAP. First off, I would get it away from that return outlet. Then I would cut off the dead parts (anything that looks like it has been affected). I wouldn't throw them out, they could still make it. I would glue them to a frag plug or piece of rubble rock. I would not dip it again, unless you see a pest harming it. It is very stressed right now, and that will just add more stress. However, you can try dipping one of the pieces you cut off, preferably one that doesn't look totally dead, and see if it helps. If it does, then you can dip all of them. IME, this has saved a few acros. For one or two others, it was too late for them. Make sure your levels are good, then keep them constant. Don't keep moving them around. Just let them be. For some reason my SPS always seems to do better when I just leave it alone. They do not respond well to frequent or drastic changes. The most important thing is to cut off those pieces. Do it right now, lol as soon as you see this reply. Stop reading, go go! Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I agree with both posts. Make sure you cut at least 1/4" back in the good flesh when you frag the coral.

8. Click Here!

9. heidimi

heidimi Fire Shrimp

I really did do it as soon as I read :) I now have two little frag plugs full of chunks ( one seen in the picture). I will keep everyone posted thanks for all you help!
    Heidi

Attached Files:

10. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

Lol is that a floating rock? Hah thats what it looks like!

11. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

in my goal to keep acro my favorite coral by the way, anytime i see it turn brown was because it was a deep water acro, it may help to shade it a little from the sun until it wants to live again, give it sun but, make it reach for it with medium water flow and check strontium levels i have to add it to mine, give it a iodine dip also that helps it readjust to light levels again, i hope you can save it.:)

12. heidimi

heidimi Fire Shrimp

Lol no that is the most badarse frag rack you can buy :). It is made from clay and fired. It attaches to the side with a super strong magnet. It holds 10 frag plugs. I needed a place to put frags from time to time but I just really don't like the look of "unnatural" stuff in my tank so this is what I settled for, I love it!
    Heidi