whats up with the green slimers?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Gexx, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

my lfs said that the green slimer acro (which is very cool looking) will send out a mucus that will bleach other corals. is this true? i really like them i was just wondering.
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. slowleak

slowleak Feather Duster

maybee thats why it is called a slimer since it slimes other corals...I really have no idea but it does make sense lol
  4. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

yea i was just wondering if it was true lol
  5. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

It won't bleach other corals. They slime a great deal (amazing amounts actually) but I have had a couple (before they died in my tank) that didn't affect any of the other inhabitants or corals when they slimed (getting bumped by a snail, gluing into the tank, etc) - mucus all over, but nothing bad happened. Except when I got some mucus in my eye. That hurt like hell. Felt like someone punched my eye.
  6. wfb2270

wfb2270 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

what were you doing with your face in the tank ;D

ha sorry, dont really have anything intellegent to add, although i have seen these a couple times a my LFS and thought they looked pretty cool
  7. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I had just glued one in, making it slime like crazy (it seriously is amazing how much they slime, and only when they're PO'ed) - went to wipe my face due to a splash and got some in my eye. Sucked.
  8. Click Here!

9. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Not an issue. I have a huge green slimer and its fine. They only slime when you move them and it doesn't affect anything. If you want to see slime pull a Xenia out of your tank. They drip slime like crazy.
  10. dixiedog

dixiedog Coral Banded Shrimp

+1. That slime won't hurt anything (other than your eye, learn something every day!) and they only slime when you mess with them.
  11. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Good info as I have been thinking of getting one..I now will not put my eyes near the tank lol lol...