what's up people, 1st Tank, 1st Post!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by soulfish, Dec 1, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. soulfish

soulfish Plankton

[glow=red, 2, 300]First off, greatfull that I found this Forum[/glow] :)
    First tank, 75 gallon All-Glass , MegaFlow. Thats it, I have not yet bought a single piece of equipment. Reason being .... Just way too many products out there , especialy for a newbee like my self !
    Here's what I was going for
    (a) A Reef / Rock / Fish
    (b) Custom SeaLife Power Compact with MoonLight 48"
    (c) Berlin Turbo Classic Protein Skimmer
    (d) Little Giant 2-MDQX-Sc Circultion Pump
    (e) Maxi-Jet Powerheads MP 1200
    (f) 225 watt Ebo Jager heater
    That's what I came up with and not knowing if its a cool gig or a flop show ? If any yo people can lend me some sound words that would be key . Again I cant wait to become part of the crew !! thanks mike

2. Click Here!

3. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

hey, wassup soulfish!
    welcome to three reef. problaly the best forum outthere  right now. I recomend you read those three steps stated above and keep the questions coming. that setup u have sound killer. Keep us posted!!!

4rm JOE

4. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

Welcome Soalfish, everything looks good, have you decided on what you want to us as a substrate? When you get up and going post some photo’s for us, and like Turbo said read the 3 steps.

5. soulfish

soulfish Plankton

thanks guys, No I have not yet decided on a substrate ?? Any recomendations ???? I'm a fresh Virgin ::) to the entire world of fish tanks. Fresh water does not interest me one bit , since I surf and travel i see the true under worlds and just trip on the whole thing ! At heart im very in-patiant , "not in the bad way " but i know i need to chill and work slow.. I just need to hear from other people as much as possible.. Does the equipment sound good ? I read the 3 steps and hounestly are stumped when it comes to the hole Sand discussion ?? Do I want to use sand if im going to have rock and reef ? If so what kind ?? Man I can go on with all the ??
    Whats your take on the Berlin Turbo ?
    One more while im still at it , Any one have any Custom built Stands out there that can recomend addvise ?
    Thanks again mike

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Hey Soulfish,
    Great to see you found your way here. Welcome to 3Reef.

I would go with a sugar sized grain sand. As for the other things on your list. I would really caution you on Lighting. I spent a lot on lights to find out six months later that the lights I had really didn't work for what I wanted to keep. Most coral have some dependency on light. So I would research what types of coral you want in your tank and ensure the lighting requirements are within your budget. Don't get me wrong at first the lights I had were fine for what I was keeping. So that was a good way to save for the lights I wanted.

Feel free to ask as many questions you want

Great to have you around. You will find everyone very helpful

J

7. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

As Jackets says, research what you want before buying your lights or anything else. Get some good books and read, read, and read some more. Only pick books new enough that promote live rock over under gravel filters. Regarding the light you picked, it is fine for Mushroom Corals, Polyps and other Corals not requiring intense lighting, but you will probably need two of them to get proper lighting for your aquarium. A MH lighting system is not necessary if you plan a beginner coral set like this one, but you may regret not make the big step and getting one from day one, especially if you ever want clams. This was a mistake I made, I use two 36” Coralife Double Strip PC (384 Watts Total) for my 65 Gallon Tank. Christmas is coming ask Santa for one.

Make sure you get enough power heads to get a proper current and a Wave Timer also makes a great Christmas Gift. My personal opinion is to avoid one that use suction cup, will make one big mess if it falls.

One thing I always promote is to buy 2 to 3 smaller heaters instead of one large one. This is a precaution incase the heater fails. During a power surge my heater malfunctioned and when I got home from work my temperature was 118F. Lost almost everything in my tank, which was a depressing (expensive) day.

Welcome to the site, glad to see you are doing your homework before make the giant step.

8. Click Here!

9. soulfish

soulfish Plankton

Right on guys ! Off subject here, but this is the second kind of Forum ive been on. Fist one was USMB for you Subaru freeks out there :eek: if you own a subba , late or new get there !
    The reasaon why I mention this is because I rebuilt my first engine all most all from the help of some chill cats at the board..the vibe feels the same from this board !!
    Jakets, if I were to start out with that lighting would it be ok ? What would you or any suggest ? My cash flow is low, ya know!
    Is there a better light for the money ?
    I dont want this one to sound like here you guys do the work for me ! but what are most of every ones set ups consist of ??
    Malachi, any type of power head ya recomend ?
    What should be my number one book of purchase ? I was going to buy The Reef Aquarium by Charles Delbrek and Julian Spring ? or is it to Old ?
    Hey Malachi I would love for The Big Fat Guy to hook it up , but my list was pr-orderd when he said I would be down in Da Keys Boy! I be under water man looking at the big blue ! So Santa did hook it up but not on my tank, this is my own little hobby im taking up :eek:
    Jakets is there a true sand you recomend ?
    [/color] [glow=red, 2, 300]keep da peace ![/glow]

10. Jason McKenzie

[glow=red, 2, 300]Arag-Alive Fiji Pink [/glow] (20lb) $37.95 CDN
    Contains LIVE stabilized marine bacteria for rapid aquarium cycling.
    No rinsing required. Simply open it up, and dump it in!
    Reduces Ammonia, Nitrite & Nitrate Levels.
    "Good Til Date" ensures that you are receiving a top quality "fresh" product.
    Strongest pH support, and buffering capability of ANY aquarium substrate.
    Superior trace element composition.
    Precision grading for maximum pore water space allows for greater diffusion of Calcium, Carbonate, and Trace Elements.
    NO Silica.

That is the sand I would recommend.

What do you want to keep in your new Reef Aquarium?
    I ask this because that is the question that needs to be answered before you purchase your lights.
    There are many Rules of thumb to go by but not live by in a SW Aquarium
    here are some.
    1-1.5Lbs. of live rock per Gallon
    5 or greater Watts of light per Gallon
    1" of fish per gallon
    always look for tank raised fish/coral rether than live caught

That is just a few and remember they are rules of thumb not carved in stone.

I would suggest a lighter book for a first. May I suggest "Natural REEF Aquariums" By John H Tullock

Jason

11. soulfish

soulfish Plankton

Jakets
    What does the CDN staand for ? Is that where I could get it ?Whats the brand namw again?
    I would like to keep Live Rock, what about 60 or more pounds ? Corals , at first I guess soft corals right ? And some fish .. I was going to check out some "Local" PS but any thing local is at least 50 minutes away. But the one that is the hour drive away is one of the best shops in the country from what I was told "Country Critters"
    any how if ya get this before I leave cool,
    mike

12. Jason McKenzie

Sorry I am in Canada and CDN is "Canadian Dollars" Toy money for you :)
    I have a 75G and have about 100lbs in my tank.
    I think the lights you are looking at are 2x65W I would look into bigger bader meaner lights. I hate to say it but expect to pay as much as the tank for lights.
    Take a look here for Lights

Jason