what's this???

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by nemo79, Aug 15, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

Don't know why this is happening but for the last 2 weeks I have had this film/surface stuff on the surface of my water, it's mostly on the side the filter is on. I never had this problem before and I have powerheads aiming at the surface with lots of tension. I have even tried the paper towel trick and that doesn't work. Does anyone know what this could be from and is it harmful to the tank?

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Do you have glass tops on your tank nemo?

4. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

No glass top, just egg crate.

5. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

have you changed/cleaned your filters lately? is your protein skimmer working? how long has it been running? are the intakes to your filters/ps clogged? what color is the slime or is it clear? are you adding any chemicals to the tank? slime coat/amquel, any thing?

6. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

My filter media is cleaned regularly and changed regularly. My skimmer is running great and was cleaned just recently. No colour to the surface stuff, grayish I guess compared to water. i add no chemicals, the only thing added is ca and alk supplements. I am running carbon, phosguard, and nitrate sponge. All the inhabitants look fine but it's ticking me off because I have never had this problem!

7. cuttingras

what do you clean everything in? ro/di water? salt water? vineager? clorox(gawd, I hope not, and I know you didn't, just had to add it)..... oh yeah and have you changed anything recently...lights, feedings, move anything around?

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Because you don't have an overflow and sump system, you're not getting the advantage of the surface skimming that an overflow would provide. You'll have to create more turbulence on the water surface to get the gunk into your water column so that your skimmer and filtration can get it out.

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

+2

J

11. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

Oh God I have never cleaned anything with chemicals, besides water I use vinegar.

12. cuttingras

was just wondering if maybe it was a residue from something...:)