Whats the safest way to kill majano anemone

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by GAZBO, Jun 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

I not for sure if they are majano but there is three of the same species spread out through my tank they are about a dime size diameter but the tenticles are longer than ones I have seen before with bright pink tips. I was trying to get a picture of it when a hermit crab decided to climb over it and the other ones are barely in sight. I had a previous tank over-ran by these and dont want to take chance of having it happen again so wether they are majano's or not I need to kill them now and one of them are in the middle of my yellow polyps and want to be careful not to harm them what would be the best way to kill them off so they wont spread or harm my other corals. I dont have kalkwasser or acces to any but will order it if I have to. I just want to make sure that they dont spread when I attempt to wipe them out. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Boiling water injected into them or lemon juice injected into them. You can inject boiling lemon juice to double up. Aiptasia-X can work on them also but is more dangerous to your polyps if you get any on them.

4. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

make a juice with one tsp kalkwasser or lime and enough white vinegar to make a med thick juice that will pull into a syringe turn off all pumps place a good size blob on the mouth of the nem after he withdraws this may take 10 minutes or a little longer you can turn the pumps back on when all you can see is the white kalk or lime with a small air tube suck out whats left of the nem and say bye bye to the killing machine glass nem

5. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

Thanks I will take care of them today after the trip to LFS or somewhat local hour and 15 min. away but always worth it. Hopefully I wont get an out break like before.

6. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I have had good luck using aiptasia X...

7. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I was going to use lemon juice on a few I have that just recently showed up. But I've heard it doesn't always work.

What about gluing them shut in their hole (after bumping them with a stick or something so they retract)?

8. Click Here!

9. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

assuming there arent any other wholes, the glue will work, though i would use silicone, worked best for me on aiptasia.

10. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I was thinking Loctite superglue gel. But it might actually work even better if it wasn't in the hole completely - that way you are gluing the aiptasia to the rock itself (and can no longer move even to other holes).

11. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

now buy glueing them shut could that cause them to split and create more problems I am not sure but seemed like my tank before if I did not kill them all the way they would be more in the area.

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

glue works, ya just have to make sure ya cover them completely. I'd be weary of silicone, I may be wrong here, but I thought it had to cure for 2 hours or it was bad for the water/tank mates. please correct me if wrong on that.

Personally, i like to use a small butane torch;)