Whats the recommended Specific Gravity/ coral problem

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Blue Falcon, Jul 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

You didn't mention Alk. Mine seem to shrink back if Alk drops. Mine also changed color to a brownish and are now returning to a more yellow. It is like a phase or something.

2. Click Here!

3. tronb24

tronb24 Coral Banded Shrimp

I've noticed that my softies barely opens up if they open up at all at anything lower than 1.024.

1.025-1.026 seems to be the sweet spot.

4. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

I would test alkalinity, calcium, magnesium as well. Also make sure you get some calibration fluid for the refractometer as well so you can be sure it's spot on.

5. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

1.025-1.026 for corals. People recommend 1.022 for fish because they don't need the extra salt. Why wasted salt if they don't use it. 1.025-1.026 especially for SPS corals because they will utilize the higher calcium levels. Mine is currently 1.023 with no probs. I have happy soft, lps and sps. I will be raising the salinity to 1.026 once I get my refractometer.

6. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Alk is 1.7 it's a little low

7. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

"People" recommend lower salinity not to save money on salt, but because they've heard the myth that troythegreat correctly commented upon. The myth is that disease and parasitic infections are less likely to occur in lower salinities. I've yet to read real scientific data to back up this claim; so myth it is until I read something substantial.

Out of curiosity, if yours is "1.023 with no probs. I have happy soft, lps and sps"--why are you planning on raising it to 1.026 once you buy a refractometer?