Whats the recommended Specific Gravity/ coral problem

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Blue Falcon, Jul 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Ok so I've been reading other posts and it seems like everyone's SG differs from 1.023, 1.024, and 1.025. So what is the "correct" level. What would determine the level? Different corals etc? I currently have a neon goby, Diamond goby, Firefish goby, Peppermint shrimp, 2 astria snails, 4 blue leg hermit crabs, a green star polyp, and a yellow polyp. My SG is 1.0235 and my green star is doing fine, but the yellow polyp just isn't coming out as much and the feathers/filters look a little brown. No bleaching visible just brown. Stalks are yellow-green. I've tested pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and SG of course. I've never used medications. I use reef carbonate twice a week and reef calcium twice a week. Oh, and lighting. I have the Current USA 18 inch with one 18 Watt SlimPaq 10K and one 18 watt 460nm Actinic Blue T5 HO fluorescent lamp. I've seen this light used on another nano same size and has a BEUTIFUL yellow polyp colony. Lights are only about 2 months old. I think I've answered most of the things you all would ask, but feel free to ask more. Trying to narrow things down, only thing I could think of is SG. I've also tried placing them in different levels/currents within the tank with no luck. OH! LOL. I'm also target feeding them Phyto-Gold-M pyhotoplankton twice a week.

Any suggestions? Thanks all

2. Click Here!

3. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

OF COURSE you will want pictures too, right ;)

Attached Files:

4. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Thought I might as well show you a pic of the green star polyp. He's JUST now starting to get green tips, which is an improvement because he didn't come out AT ALL for the first week I got him.

Attached Files:

5. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Many just simulate the ocean. 1.025 or 1.026 is perfect.

6. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

thanks sparky. Looks like I'll be bumping my SG over the course of this week. I also REALLY want to get a refractometer. Tired of guestimating with my box hydrometer. Any good suggestions on brands?

7. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

a refract is a must because yeah your hydrometer may be reading .023 but you could really be around .019. (this was me about 4 years ago) As far as my sg goes. I like 025 to 026 just like sparky said. This is the measurement on the GBR and the red sea so if god does it, I guess it works for me too.

8. Click Here!

9. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Thanks guys. Will definitely be getting a refracto ASAP don't think my LFS has any so it my take some time ordering one. One thing I hate is my LFS mixes sells their water at 1.022 so I always have to add more salt when I buy it. So I also want to get an RO unit and mix my own salt. Another thing I don't like about my LFS is that their display tanks are kept at 1.020 supposedly to help keep down parasites and disease but it makes it a challenge to acclimate to my tank. Take about 2 hours to acclimate. I might start keeping my quarantine tank at 1.020 and adjusting it up slowly day by day so they aren't going from 1.020 to 1.025 in just 2 hours. Sound good to you? So why do I go to this LFS you ask? Because it's the closest one in about 40 miles and my landlord owns it. LOL

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  10. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Doctorsfosterandsmith=)

11. troythegreat

troythegreat Astrea Snail

Tell your local fish store that that low salinity trick is just a myth,...anyways Blue Falcon, please get a refractometer!!!...i almost crashed my tank this week because of my hydrometer.....my tank was running at 1.030 for 2 weeks , then at 1.020 for another week....talk about stress!!

12. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Wilco on the refracto ASAP. You don't have to convince me there. This guys been running the same shop for 12 years and I don't think he will cahnge anything. lol