What's the optimal water temp?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by CoralQueen, Apr 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CoralQueen

CoralQueen Feather Duster

So I am sure theres probably some thread running in here somewhere that addresses this but haven't found it so I am just curious as to what are the best temps for your tank? I am assuming if you have corals that may affect the necessary temp range? My tank is currently at 74 degrees and I do have corals is this okay? sometimes it drops to 72 could that be stressing out the fish?

2. Click Here!

3. divott

divott Giant Squid

mine runs between 79-80.5. i think you will find most aare running highs 70's also. IMO , you will want to raise your temp up coralqueen.

4. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I agree with guitarman..you need to get the temp up a couple of degrees at least. I keep mine around 77*

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

It's not necessarily the temp, but the stability of the temperature. A swing of a few degrees isn't too bad, but you don't want to go +- 5 degrees for example. The lower the temp, the more oxygen, so if you have a lot of fish then you may want to keep the temp lower, but IMO, something around 78 would be good. I think you should try to raise it up a bit, but do it gradually.

6. CoralQueen

well I am just not sure how to go about raising the temp I have a heater but have never actually used it. It was more of an in case of emergency type thing meant for during the winter time. Now that its summer I am just not sure what I should do. Our house stays kind of cool and the fan is usually running a lot now in the room with the tank. Could this be accounting for the fluctuation in temperature? I have just heard so many different numbers in the past so it can get a little confusing. So far the upper 70's seems to be the consensus.

7. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

i am not sure there is an optimal, depends what you have. 75-80 degrees is probably the better range.

8. Click Here!

9. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Most heaters have built in thermometers that shut the heater down when the water reaches a certain temp or they have a dial to adjust the temp. I keep my tank at 78 all the time and I only have a +-1 degree fluctuation, if that. During the day with the lights and stuff on, the heater isn't on as much but during the night it comes on a lot more to keep the temp stable. Like previously said, a stable temp is generally more important than say the "optimal" temp, but I would shoot for something between 76-80. Now if you're doing seahorses or a cool water tank then your temp is good as they require cooler waters.

10. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I try to keep mine between 79.2 - 80.6 degrees F. 78 degrees at the lowest. Occasionally it will go above 80.6 in the summer(I don't have air conditioning), but I have an alarm for that. Though I'm running mine as a reef. 74 does seem pretty low. It all depends on what fish you want to keep/do keep and make sure that temp stays constant within 1 to 1.5 degrees. I would try to keep it in the high 70's.

11. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I was about to go crazy for you not having a heater. Then I realized you are in Virginia Beach. ::) I used to live there. Really miss it actually.

12. CoralQueen

haha I know the temp is pretty well maintained just with the weather outside right now and added to the heat from the light it does not do much changing.