What's the benefits of LED's?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by link248, Jan 2, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

What I want is some good coral growth and good color pop in the corals. Should I just stick with my t5's and add something else to the tank for color and growth?

I would go MH, but I don't want to get a chiller.

2. Click Here!

3. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

Any more info or help?

4. Wankell

Wankell Astrea Snail

I will tell you in a week from now when I get my fixture in the mail. I ended up ordering a dimmable full spectrum 120w ebay unit. I think LEDs offer the most POP, and from what I have read, zoas really like them!

5. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I have Rapid and AquaStyle LEDs over my tank with no issues. I have Rapid for the main lights and AquaStyle for supplements. I liked how Rapid put everything together and I liked supporting US companies.

6. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

I'm trying to stay away from those. There are too many on ebay and I read somewhere on here that some one's fixture that he bought on ebay caught on fire. The seller on ebay didn't want to take care of the fixture even though it had a 2 year warranty.

7. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

I've just read an article today in a magazine about what was better between all types.

[​IMG]

LED Lights on Reef Tanks are simply awesome, colour control is easy. The benefits of LED Lights on a reef tank overwhelmingly out weigh the advantages of Metal Halide or T5 lights.
    The following is a list of advantages LEDs have in reef lighting over Metal Halide or T5 lighting

A, Energy Efficient:

LEDs are the most cost effective way to light your aquarium.LEDs use about 1/2 to 1/3 the electricity of standard aquarium lights. LEDs are rated for 50,000 hours. After that they will produce 75% of their original light. 50,000 hours is 11.41years at 12 hours a day at full power after that who knows how much longer they will last. The 60 LED fixture has the same PAR as a 400 watt MH Radium and less than 200 watts.

B, Low heat generation:

LEDs do generate some heat but nowhere the amount of a Metal Halide or T5. They do produce a very high spot heat and need a quality heatsink to last long. We highly recommend and only provide heatsinsks from Heatsink USA as their heatsinks have the proper mass and surface area to keep the LEDs cool. A simple pair of Cool Tron Fans will on this heatsink will keep your fixture temp around 90 Degrees Fahrenheit.

C, Shimmering Effect:

The Shimmering Effect of LEDs is outstanding. Corbins Exotic Pets in Buffalo Grove Illinois uses LEDs for this effect and the results trump any available reef lighting.

D, About Safety:

LEDs are low voltage and much safer than a 400 watt MH.

===============================================================

And another interesting read would be here Lighting Article

Note: RapidLEDs come in solderless so not just to settle your DIY fix, it can be very easy to build.

8. Click Here!

9. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

I like supporting us companies too, but if I can get as set for my biocube and a set for my 40 breeder for the same cost as the 40 breeder kit from rapid led, then I have to go with aquastyles. Especially if one is as good as the other.

I like what one persons comparison was. It's like Toyota and Lexus. Both are the same company, but you will pay more for that Lexus, yet it has Toyota parts

10. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

Nice find. Thanks

11. FyrFytr

FyrFytr Astrea Snail

VERY inexperience here, but I will put my 2cents in here...for what my opinion is worth.

I have been looking into LEDs for my first saltwater tank, and it is a very new tank. I have seen the discussions on this forum as well as many other forums and from what I can tell it is similar to the argument of ford vs chevy...as well as Lexus vs Toyota....and Ford vs Kia. I will explain, lol:
    Ford vs Chevy I have seen about as many people who love their Bridgelux/Aquastyle LEDs as those who love their CREE LEDs...its all about what you want and what you are into
    Lexus vs Toyota Its the same parts only labeled differently. There are some suddle differences between the two, but for the most part they are the same thing.
    Ford vs Kia In some peoples eyes they both make quality items. Some people swear by their Kias, others think they are junk....people swear by Bridgelux, others here are not gonna come close to them.

IMO they are similar items. Look at the whole picture and see what works the best for you. There are advantages and disadvantages to both

12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Not sure if this helps with anything, but I will be adding 2 t-5 bulbs to my canopy to accent and enhance my LED units.