What's Shakin'

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Oryo, Mar 30, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Oryo

Oryo Feather Duster

I live in S.California on the border of LA & OC and for the past 2-3 days we have been having Earthquakes and a whole bunch of aftershocks. The 1st one hit us about 10 days ago early in the morning but didn't feel it. Then Friday night at 8:03 PST we had another mild one didn't feel that one either. Then a little after 9 P.M. we had a nice one that was 5.1 and lasted 7 seconds. This was centered in the city of La Habra and we are a rock throw away from that city.

I had the kids with me in our home office and it shook the house really bad! My reaction was not to freak kids out and grabbed my 3 yr old son and told my 7 yr old daughter lets go where I could here my wife screaming to get the kids. I know the kids were terrified but more confused not knowing what it was. I can still picture my sons face with his practically popping out of his head. After that Earthquake Friday night for the next 12 hours we had what was reported on the news 16 aftershocks.

We had nothing happen when the 5.1 and the our fish tank swooshing water front and back to the floor and a couple of rocks falling in the aquascape.. That was our total damage other then a small picture fram getting knocked down which was great. I have been through the Northridge quake and grew up dealling with Earthquakes but you never know when the BIG one is coming.

We've been having aftershocks and had 2 last night and another one about 1/2 hour ago. We have had no damage in all but had to clean up water on the floor from the tank 3 times already. The good thing was last week I saw a thread here about getting a battery air pump just in case you lose power. I never thought about it and purchased one last Monday on Amazon and it came in Thursday night. The houses 2 blocks from our home lost power after the Earthquake Friday night so thanks to the site I'm prepared.

My wife jokes with me that she can't believe I'm worried about 3 fishes that is in the tank but if we lose power I'm ready!!!

We have a camping trailer in side of home which we been loading up lil by lil for a week long trip to Jalama Beach in July so if we have to go to survival mode we are ready...LoL

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I was in S.Ca for the Northridge and other big quakes during that time.

There were transformers about 3 blocks away. We also had Vultures roosting in the trees in close proximity.

When the Northridge quake happened I ran down the stairs and opened the front door. All I could see were the transformers blowing up and Vultures flying out of the trees. In my mind I was thinking America had gone to war, for the life of me I could not figure out how that had happened, truly a bizarre moment.

You're absolutely right Ca will see a large earth quake. Stupidity runs high in my genetic make up because I am fascinated by quakes and other natural disasters.

Hopefully all that rock and rolling in Ca relieved some stress on the fault lines.

Got to love Ca. Stay stable my friend. :p

4. dsmerf214

dsmerf214 Fire Shrimp

Growing up I lived in WA. We had a decent size quake when I was 10 or so. My moms friend thought her husband hit the side of the house with his truck lol.

Its good that you're prepared. Stay safe

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I've wondered what it would be like but have never been in an earthquake. I imagine it can be quite scary.

6. Oryo

Oryo Feather Duster

Most of the time you can hear it rolling in and it sounds like a large bowling ball was dropped when it hits you. The floor shakes which causes the building or home to sway back and forth. Sometimes it could be just a fast jolt and sometimes it can last 3-10 seconds. The longer it last the more fun it is...LoL

For the Northridge one which was I believe was a 7.1, I was on my way to work in the car when you can see the street around you move like if there was a wave in the asphalt. I knew something was wrong when you can see that and the street signs and poles start shaking.

I hope this is it for ever because my kids are freaking out with the aftershocks. My 3 year old son just told me he's scared of "back n' forth, back n' forth!" right before he fell asleep. I told him not to be scared and mommy & daddy are here.

I have stuff in camping trailer just in case, kids were told what to do and have battery air pump with a bunch of batteries just in case to keep tank going.