Whats on my rock?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by PghSteeler, Mar 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

So I set up my first SW tank with all dry reef rock and Caribsea sand about a month ago and seeded it with 1lb of liverock from a lfs a few days ago for coralline algae. Since it was such a small piece and it looked pretty dense and just mostly brown I figured there wouldnt be much on it to worry about but after a few days I see all kinds of stuff and am a little worried about what they can be. Hard to get good pictures so I will try to describe what I see.

[​IMG]

Im thinking the yellow stuff is sponge of some sort.

I also see what looks like some kind of feather duster? There are a few on all sides of the rock and they are really featherly and flow with the water. They also suck in real fast when the rock is touched.

I also found 2 spots that look very similar to the featherduster things but they are more like bristles then feathers and also suck in when the rock is touched.

A couple tan bristle covered worm things

A smal spot that looks fuzzy and white with a bunch of mini bubblelike tips. Nothing like a bubblealgae from pictures I see.

And finally and most scary a somewhat large nude/tan/clear manylegged super fast critter. It crawled out of one hole and ran real fast to another. Looks like it might be a large amphipod but I am not sure. Hoping it is nto a baby mantis shrimp.

Any help would be appreciated. Can people tell me whats good and whats bad? Post pictures of good critters and bad critters from your tanks? I almost want to take the piece of liverock right out but Im sure whatever is in it probably left and went to other rock by now.

So I am thinking I have bristleworms, sponge, amphipods, and featherdusters. Not sure what else.

2. Click Here!

3. The Grizz

The Grizz Astrea Snail

Sounds like that is exactly what you have there. Personally when I see a Bristol worm it's gone. Sponges are good, feather dusters are good as well unless they get out of control & it's most likely an amphipod you saw.

4. PghSteeler

THanks, why do you get rid of a bristle worm I thought only the red ones are bad? Also how can you tell the difference between a large amphipod and a mantis shrimp fry? I watched it for a long time and it never came into the open just hid underneath the rock. Had 2 tiny black eyes, was fleshy colored with a dark stripe running the length of the body on the back, and it took little pieces of debris off the rock and held them with some sort of legs/claws( too small to see what they were) to eat.

Should I take the rock out and get rid of it for piece of mind? I like the good stuff on the rock but am so afraid of getting a mantis shrimp.

5. PghSteeler

6. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Not sure why you're bumping. You got a very good answer.

7. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Hmmm maybe because he asked more questions. Maybe he's also looking for reassurance. ;)

8. Click Here!

9. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

If it will ease your mind, take the rock out. Your right about bristle worms. They are a great part of our clean up crews and harmless.
    Personally I know nothing about baby mantis shrimp so I can't give you a positive ID.

10. PghSteeler

Thanks for all the help, I decided to leave the rock in the tank and put it back in the back of the tank.

11. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Is there livestock in the tank?

12. The Grizz

The Grizz Astrea Snail

Not sure about the amphipd / mantis shrimp question as I have never seen a mantis fry in person but as for the bristle worm, I dont like them one bit. I have had a few clams that where not doing well, suffering from a pinched mantle and before I could try to help them with a FW dip, those damn worms moved in, did more damage & finished off several clams not to mention a few other corals.

And I was a jerk & forgot to reply :-/