What's my bioload?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by mati_L, Jun 29, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

So the weekend comes along and I finally have time to sit at home while enjoying my tank. As usual I want to run and buy something new, usually I stick to frags but lately I have been really wanting a new fish to watch. Tell me what you think, should I ? Now before the tang police gets me, I am guilty for having an Atlantic blue tang in a 4ft tank, yes i know its bad ! well before you send me away I would like to say its small and I saved it from a horrible neglecting owner, it's very happy swimming all day and fat now. Either a 6ft tank in the future or a new home for him/her

72g Bow, 20g sump, SC-180 skimmer, fuge

Besides my Zoas, SPS, and LPS

What's my bio load ? Heavy ?

2 tiny chromis
    Ocellaris Clown pair
    6 line (very peaceful)
    Melanurus wrasse
    Scooter blenny
    Yellow eye kole tang
    Atlantic blue tang

I will be adding a Midas Blenny ..once I find one

Now I would like to add something else if my tank isn't too overstocked

2. Click Here!

3. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Yeah two tangs in a 75g the tang police are searching for your IP address as you read this. lol. A midas blenny isnt a big fishy nor a dirty eating fish. I'd say its fine to be honest. I am a guilty part of the overstocking club to and dont agree that every inch of fish needs 600gallons. You also have a larger skimmer and a fuge to take up some of the junk.

4. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

Please no I don't want to be banded from the cool 3reef forum ! Lol okay the midas is no debat because I have always wanted one but besides the fish isn't much of a messy eater like you stated.
    I would want to see if something else is acceptable as well, including the midas .. Maybe a dwarf angle or a yellow wrasse ...actually no more wrasses .. What about a powder blue tank ? Or a hippo tang ?

I'm kidding ! No more tangs ! Suggestions ?

5. Anya

Anya Bristle Worm

Not sure how true this is, but I've heard the ratio is an inch of fish per 1 gallon. In my opinion, dwarf angels are beautiful. My coral beauty is probably my most favorite fish. Very peaceful, just gracefully swims around all day grazing on the stuff that lives on the rock. Flame angels are also great looking, though I've never had one.

6. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

The inch a gallon a fish legend. It comes down to equipment, feeding size and activity of the fish. Think about say mandarins. mandarin average around 4 inches, that means I could keep over 20 of them in a 75g with a sump. They would starve to death from lack of pods or require so much food the water would be like mud. Or go the other way and I could keep a couple of groupers so huge they cant turn around. Some fish are more active that others and will need more room. Look at like tangs and wrasse. Very active fish that need lots of room to move and swim freely without smacking into each other and causing stress and aggression.

Experience, knowing your tank, equipment, and livestock will drive your bioload.

7. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

I'd say it's a medium bioload. I'd keep the kole tang get rid of the other tang and get what fish you want :)

8. Click Here!

9. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

I have a bristletooth tang in a 55g so a Kole tang would fit easily in the 72g.

10. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I basically agree with the rest. Re-home the Atlantic Blue, and then you are good to add 1-2 more smaller fish. Midas Blenny is a great choice for sure. And a Flame Angel should be fine as well.

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

+1 to this answer and I usually lean toward a higher load than many in terms of what I feel is acceptable. You could consider adding maybe a couple more chromis (are they reef chromis?) along with the midas......After the midas and chromis, I'd hold tight on adding more larger fish unless you get rid of the powder blue and then options open up greatly....

Maybe think about colorful inverts that are active? I know people love their cleaner shrimp and they always seem to be very visible in tanks when I look at pics. There are some colorful urchins, acro crabs, things like that...just a thought

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  12. Anya

Anya Bristle Worm

Agree with this completely, I like this rule in addition with each fish's individual requirements. Sort of like the cap for the total number of fish :)