Whats Is The Worse Type Of Food???

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by lunatik_69, Feb 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

This is a topic of discussion that I had with my LFS the other day. Which food do you think has the most negative effect on water quality as in NH3, NO2, NO3 and PO4. The agruement was that frozen foods is better than dry foods. What do you think?

2. Click Here!

3. BayBud

BayBud Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Can't say thats ever followed my experience but maybe i\ve been using sh** frozen foods lol.

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I feel that frozen food is the worst to feed but, to quote Goldmember in Austin Powers..."everything in moderation is good" :D On a daily basis, I feed only flakes. Now, if you have specialized feeders, like butterfly, angel, mandarin fish, etc., you will have to feed frozen so you may have to make certain changes to your filtration system if that's the case.

Did that make any sense?

5. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

most frozen foods have jelbinders that leave a film on the water surface.if i can't find frozen without it then i use dry food

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

;D It made sense, so you think that dry is better than frozen.

7. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

Although, I agree with what has been said thus far it has been my exerience and many fellow reefkeepers that I know that many fish will not eat dry food(flakes) and some not even pellets. Since this is the case, much of this food is left to pollute the water. I do feed with pellets sometimes and some of the fish will eat it and others won't so I need to be careful. Another issue is that dried foods tend to loose flavor over time so fish are less likely to take to this food. 8)

8. Click Here!

9. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

whether dry or frozen additives are introduced by companies in the processing procedure for longevity. if fresh ( shrimp, scallop, atlantic/pacific clam and oyster ) are blended together with a little ro/di water that would be better than any commercial dry or frozen foods.

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I don't think it's "better" per se but I do think it's a bit "cleaner". :)

11. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

I think expensive food is the worst. So I stick with my simple flakes ;D