Whats in your salt? AWT Study on what's really in your salt.

Discussion in 'Salt' started by geekdafied, Feb 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I came across this awhile back, meant to post something about it and forgot. Then it came up the other day, and I just read a post on here asking something that is answered in this study. Its in PDF form, so be prepared.

Reef Salt Analysis

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Good find there Geek!

I went to a behind the scenes tour at Newport Aquarium and talked with the biologist there and asked her what type of salt they used. She said that they have tired many and found they are not always the same between buckets. Some are taken from the top of the mixing vat and some from the bottom and they are not mixed very good. She also stated that they found Instant Ocean to be the most stable salt they used but they have gone to mixing their own salt now due to cost saving.

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

From what I gathered on that study, coralife appeared to be right there with the best of them, and better then the supposed best on some of it.

5. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

yup, coralife and instant ocean are tied for first place

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Have seen earlier versions of this study...but this one seems to pretty up to date.

Does not indicate the wide differences in salt mixes that the link I posted earlier.

But from all there, esp. taking cost into consideration. Am sticking with good old IO.

Scott

7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Everytime I use IO I get cyano. From that study, IO has the one of the highest levels of phosphates which would explain it. I use to use coralife years ago, and then started using IO since thats all I could get locally and then F&S starting selling it for $30 a bucket. The coralife salt from them is $32 a bucket and it comes with a free tshirt! hahahaha!

8. Click Here!

9. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

IO Reef Crystals now comes with a free tshirt as well...Just picked up a bucket last week...8)

10. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

Nice study! Overall im okay with IOs performance so when I finish the three buckets I have left maybe Ill try the Red sea.

11. YellowBelly

YellowBelly Teardrop Maxima Clam

Thanks, saved the document.