What's Happening ?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by oceansurf, Dec 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

I have a 10 gallon nano. Just a few weeks ago,my tank was doing well. Now most of my corals are stunted & my frogspawn actually looks dead. I clean off the light each day & have just begun to dose 1 /4 tsp. of Kent daily.I do a water change once a week, trim the dead off the plants, fertilize them, & clean the glass inside & out. I leave my light on 8 hrs./ day.

Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Are you testing any parameter before dosing, I would start there and monitor alk, pH, ca along with the standard sg and temp.

When you say fertilize can you further explain what you are using and how you are using it.

Also if possible a picture of the tank.

I am going to assume this is power compact lighting.

You may need to increase the flow to the tank as well if you are only using stock and it depends on the type of corals you are trying to keep.

4. oceansurf

The flow has been increased. I only just began dosing with Kent. ( 1/4 tsp per day )I do a water change, clean my sponges & charcoal in the discared water. Each week I check salinity & calcium, but that is it. I'll check nitrates this pm. Do you think maybe I should be doing 2 water changes a week ? If it continues the way it is, I'm going to change it into a tropical fish tank.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I would stop the dosing. Too much room for error if you are not testng alk and pH routinely.

In a ten gallon tank, I would think a 10% water changes bi-monthly would be just fine as long as you do not have a lot of fish or over feed.

You are going to replinish the trace elements with the water changes. Unless you are trying to keep sps no need to add anything extra IMO.

Smaller water changes routinely are move effective. Just give it some more time. If the LPS corals are proving to be a challange try some soft corals like xenia and colt and see how they do.

Again I would stop the supplement.

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

What product by Kent are you dosing? If you're fertilizing plants that often, that amount of phosphorus could easily kill off a coral.

What kind of plants do you keep? Why are they dieing off?

We need a little more background info to help you.

7. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

I agree with Corailline - dont dose for anything you cannot test for.

Also - when you say "clean the inside and out" - are you using any products to clean with? The only things you should use to clean ANYwhere even NEAR your tank are water and vinegar. If you are using any chemicals/solvents - that's your culprit.

I would go to 1 gal/week changes. Especially if you are not running a skimmer on there that water will get dirty fast.

Also the most common inherent issue that nano-keepers have is keeping the water parameters stable. Are you closely monitoring the salinty? With just a few days worth of evaporation you could see a 5%+ swing in salinity which can be deadly if not closely monitored.

8. Click Here!

9. Tropical Addict

Tropical Addict Bubble Tip Anemone

Sorry to hear about your tank. Besides frogspawn what other coral's and fish do you have in there? Also, what do you mean by "fertilize"? I noticed you had posted a recent thread about this same tank having issues(http://www.3reef.com/forums/coral/i-am-so-disappointed-98271.html). Could you possibly be doing the same thing again?

10. Tropical Addict

Tropical Addict Bubble Tip Anemone

I almost forgot, do you have a picture of the tank we could all look at? That would help.

11. oceansurf

You are very aware. I did fertilize before ( I over fertilized )The corals were not doing well but, when I did frequent water changes, my corals came back. The difference this time, is my corals are not doing well which was the reason for my dosing. I give very little. 1/4 tsp of Kent per day.

I have a button coral, a Kenya tree frag, a frogspawn & a mushroom. The frogspawn looks like it is dying. Te others look ok. They are just not growing. What am I doing wrong/( more water changes, what )

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

We still have questions