What's happening to my Toadstool Leather

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by skennelly, Aug 4, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skennelly

skennelly Coral Banded Shrimp

I started a post on this a while back. I have a toadstool leather that is starting to grow a hole of some sort in its middle section. I have posts. I am a little worried about this. Please help.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

I have one that had a small hole also...not as big as that. Dont lose any sleep over it,,,it will be fine.

J

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Might be splitting, might not be. Does there seem to be any necrosis on the edge of the hole? Can you remove it to give it an iodine dip?

5. skennelly

Thanks for replying. There doesn't appear to be any necrosis in that area, it just looks like a clean hole I don't see any real signs of tissue loss or deformation.

I guess I could remove it, but its attached to a large piece of live rock that would be a pain to remove.

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

There isn't another hole at the base of the coral is there? I ask because there is a parasitic snail that bores through leather corals and eats them from the inside out but they seem to attack from the bottom up.

7. skennelly

I can't see underneath it at all, but from the top it doesn't look like it goes all the way through the coral. I also felt around the stalk of the coral and it feels very firm. I did hear of that snail problem, but I heard the coral gets eaten from the inside and it will becomes unable to hold itself up.

Does anybody know what those snails look like? I have alot of snails in the tank and recently I have noticed alot of baby snails appearing. I hope they are not a problem.

thanks
    Sean

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

10. skennelly

Very disheartening to say the least. Thanks for the article.

11. skennelly

bump! I really need some advice on this.

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Do you have the parasitic snails or no? Has the hole gotten bigger or has the coral started to look bad?