What's going on here

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Bigjoeybx, Mar 31, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bigjoeybx

Bigjoeybx Astrea Snail

I recently had to redo my tank. took out all the live rock and nuked it. Put it back in maybe a month ago and this is what going on can somebody please help me...

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Just some cyano, good clean up crew and over time it should go away.

4. Bigjoeybx

Bigjoeybx Astrea Snail

i remember this the first time i started out but it seems to be worse this time around besides clean up crew what else can i do? or should i just let nature take its course. thats what i did when i staerted back in 2008

5. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Bigjoeybx
    It is possible that your new LR is leeching out phospates and other goodies that the cyano loves in addition to the tank re-cycling.

Best way to treat this issue is to fix the root which is water quality.

Certainly the bloom should subside in a week or so and the addition of a CUC AFTER the tank is cycled is a good idea IMO.

However - if the issue continues - it's your water quality that can be more closely monitored.

Are you using RO/DI water? Or treated tap water? Almost everyone here will recommend that you use RO/DI water with ZERO TDS to mix with a good quality salt mix.

Running GFO can also help after the cycle is done.

You should also keep your lights off during the cycle as it will only contribute to nuisance algae growth.

Hopefully your bloom subsides on its own in a week or so - but if not - let us know and we can revisit the issue . . .

best of luck!

6. Bigjoeybx

Bigjoeybx Astrea Snail

thanks im am using ro/di. been using it ever since the beggining. im thinking it might be the rocks and the lighting. I nuked the rocks awhile ago. then put them back in. its been about a month now. so the cyno is expected. I wasnt expecting it so i had my lights on. just turned them off. gonna find a cleanup crew tomorrow. any specific u got in mind?

7. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

+1 M-Ocean !

CUC’s are good and serve a purpose but should not be used to mask an underlying issue. The root cause must be identified and resolved.

As mentioned, RO/DI should be used and age of light bulbs should also be considered.

Also, are you skimming? Is it producing? DOC’s will get you every time as they give rise to NO3. Insiffient water flow produces CO2 which feeds algae and the bacteria you are encountering. Phosphate sponge, skimming for DOC’s and water changes to reduce NO3’s are where you want to be looking.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

for a CUC?

reefcleaners.org all the way.

I look nowhere else for CUCs.

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

What type of flow do you have?

Do you have a sump?

What type of filtration?

11. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

If you want to speed up the removal of the algae I used AlgaeFix from Marine. It is safe and costs like 10 bucks for a 16oz. bottle. Just use the recommended doses and the algae will stop spreading... over time the existing algae will disappear but at least with this product you won't have it getting any worse until it's stabilized.

12. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

You basically started over by nuking all your rock. It's not going to be much different than the first time around. Whatever you did then, you can do now. What we did with this new tank was get a small CuC and cut the lighting time & waited it out.