what wrong with this brain? (picture of it dead now)

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by billielewis3, Nov 3, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

[​IMG]

on the front right side of it, it has exposed skeleton, and there is a small sot on the other side of it too. wasn't like this last night. all my prams are good

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. elwolfe

elwolfe Coral Banded Shrimp

I don't know enough about R or S TN to comment on whether it may be that, but to me it looks like something stung it or was chewing on it. I have a brain that has a spot like that from where a ricordea got it. Once had a trumpet head that got zapped by the brain too. What else is in the tank and what corals are nearby?

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Tissue recession, or aka it's dying. Tough to say the cause. I would say that they are better off in the sand. Sharp rocks can cause tissue injury and infection. Also, light, too much, too little. Nutrients, flow, feeding (especially lack of) predator etc... couldn't give you a definitive answer, especially just based on a picture. More info on your tank and the micro environment of the coral within the tank would be helpful.

5. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

there is no other corals beside it

is there anyway to reverse the effects or is it a once its gone its gone type of thing?

6. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Did you ever find out what happened to your frogspawn? Looks similar, tissue recession. Its far from gone, as long as you can find the cause. Are you sure there have been no alk swings or pH drops?

7. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

My buddy scott is going to bring his test kits over to double check, ill post those results later. Unfortunatly it wont be until 5 or 6 tonight. It does look exactly like the frogspawn did, im so frustrated i cant even see straight. Stay tuned and thanks everyone for their help.

8. Click Here!

9. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

here are my current prameters:

pH-8.1
    Mg - 1320
    kH - 9.5
    Ca - 450
    ammonia - 0
    nitrates - 0
    nitirites - 0
    temp -78.3
    SG - 1.024

we did a 10g wc, and they stayed teh same.

ill keep an eye on the coral tonight and see if theres any improvement or worsening.

10. Dfost115

Dfost115 Astrea Snail

Brains can get very fussy if they are not placed on the flat sand bed

11. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

OK, we just placed him on the sand bed, directly under the light. the Radion only come up to 70% and the tank is 24" tall. should i increase the intensity?

12. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

It's sort of a guess, but a radion may be a lot of light for it. Was it a bit shaded before or in direct light? Sometimes a bit more subdued light can help corals recover, but it's sort of a guess without knowing the tank.