What would your concerns be regarding this product?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by Hoauhuliana, May 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Hoauhuliana

Hoauhuliana Astrea Snail

This is a t5 4x54 light fixture on ebay. below is the item# on e-bay. If you are bored, please tell me why I should NOT buy this product for a 55 gal. reef tank. Thanks.

Item number: 270380532224

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

A link would probably help you better.

4. Hoauhuliana

Hoauhuliana Astrea Snail

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Seems to be more an an ad for T5 lighting then advertising the actual fixture. Basically you get what you pay for. For $100 you will get a $100 value. Chances are the ballasts will need to be replaced sooner than later, it's probably not that efficient and the wiring may be sub par. It's hard to say from that ebay post. You may get it and have little to no trouble, or you may get it and it break within a week or two.

6. Hoauhuliana

Hoauhuliana Astrea Snail

and that is why they say good stuff aint cheap and cheap stuff aint good! Thanks for the input, haven't decided where to get the lighting from yet. I just read some other threads and came across yet more negative comments regarding Odyssea...kidnd of makes it hard to go in that direction unless you get some killer warranty with it. Thanks again, later

7. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

No matter how cliche it sounds, you get what you pay for

8. Click Here!

9. cement_skis

cement_skis Sea Dragon

There are plenty of people that will tell you ebay lighting isnt the way to go.....just google it, or look on other forums. Been hearing about ebay lighting for over 3 years and I have yet to hear one good thing about it.

10. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

Ask the seller if the reflector's are one for the whole unit or one for each bulb. If they are individual reflector's WHICH IS A MUST IN T5 then do they go the length of the bulb.
    I have Odyssea and my personal opinion is they suck....You will soon replace all the ballast the bulb's are very underated when all is said and done you will have spent more building this unit to a be suitable fixture than you would have on going name brand....You will be very limited as to what you can keep under the 4 bulb unit....Good Luck
    Danny

11. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

It's not ebay lighting it is the brand. There are some good light's on ebay. a few of the name brand companies are selling refurbished light's on ebay
    Danny

12. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Aquactinics is a very reputable company that now sells refurb's on ebay, so you CAN get a great fixture on Ebay but typically not... The Aquactinics lights that they sell they used to sell through RC when people would hound Tom about it and now to give everyone a fair chance they use Ebay, BUT they don't deep discount them!!!

I would build my own light WAY before I bought a fixture without knowing the manufactor or quality of the unit. If you want to save money build a retro with quality components, don't buy a cheap unit that you will most likely upgrade and then when you try to sell good ole Ebay light, you will get pennies on the dollar and thats IF you can sell it....

Good luck!