What would you do?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Puffer Chick, Jan 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

What would you do?

Poll closed Jan 23, 2010.
  1. dont spend any more money on tank and keep as is

61.2%
  2. go ahead and finish stocking

8.2%
  3. sell the entire tank and ger new tank later

10.2%
  4. sell livestock and keep the tank

26.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

In all honesty I have no idea why I want to move to CO but it's just one of those feelings that I know that's where I want to end up.

And that's also why I'm selling the livestock because I have no idea what kind of living situation I will be in and how long I would be at one place. So I'm thinking the tank will be in storage for a while once it's taken down

2. Click Here!

3. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

Thanks for the info :D so far i've been browsing craigslist bur don't know where else to look so thanks for the link it will deffiently help

4. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

I would not vote for any of that..

I would finish stocking and then when its time to move, i would tare my tank down and take it with me.. including livestock. ( like you may know there is a risk of something dying but when you sell it.. its technically like it dying because you arent going to see it any more and you dont know how the new owner is going to take care of it)

If you take everything carefully you will definitely succeed in the move. Its been done before so why dont you?? just make sure that your tank is the last thing you move so that you can be ready to set back up quickly.

IMHO selling things when you really love them is worse than them dying,, which it might not even happen if you take things with you. remember that when they ship fish it takes a while for them to arrive so think of it that way. All you will end up buying is new sand and thats it. ( you will loose more money by selling things half price).
    But also i would pay off my C.C before getting anything else.. that way you can start saving more so that you can infact move. ( unless your not in a hurry then finish stocking).

i just dont have it in me to sell my fish,

1 person likes this.
  5. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Another way I think of it, is if you can't afford to finish stocking the tank after you move, you can't afford living on your own - at least not safely or comfortably. You need some excess / padding for incidentals. What if your car blows up. If you don't have money to set aside and save each month (or buy a coral / provide yourself some entertainment) you are cutting it a wee bit too close. JMHO - I know not everyone can do this but you don't have to spend hundreds per month on your tank. $40-50 here and there.

6. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

that's another way to think about things. I may have to think about that

yea i still have a lot more planning to do so hopefully ill be able to figure out something

7. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Give it time, save, and enjoy your time at home while you are there.

You'll be on your own before you know it. :)

8. Click Here!

9. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

For me it's a toss up between 1 and 4.

1 because you know that all your hard work and effort is safely at home and all your time and research wasn't done for nothing. you can always do what I plan to do next yr when I plan to move to the US for a year. I plan on setting up a wireless surveillance camera w/ pivot control and host the video on my website so while I'm in the states, I can have full coverage on what's going on with and around my aquariums;D

4 because I would want to sell out livestock to help pay off credit cards and then later on build a new tank with the advantage of already having a wealth of knowledge on what I'm doing.
    However, for me, I'm very attached to my corals and my GF is very attached to our fishes. She would never let me sell anything.

Either way, it's your decision and you should do what you think is best. One thing's for sure you don't want to have a bad credit record so clear those credit cards. This would be better in the long run;)

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

the wireless surveillance camera would be so cool! wish my parents would let me keep the tank setup but that would be an awesome thing to do, your lucky that your parents agreed to have it left up

yea im hoping to get some decent money out of the livestock and yea paying off the C.C. is a top priority