What would you do?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Puffer Chick, Jan 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

What would you do?

Poll closed Jan 23, 2010.
  1. dont spend any more money on tank and keep as is

61.2%
  2. go ahead and finish stocking

8.2%
  3. sell the entire tank and ger new tank later

10.2%
  4. sell livestock and keep the tank

26.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

There's no harm in asking? Or perhaps if you ask nicely he can give you advice on where to find employment?

I hired someone from our local reef club forum.

2. Click Here!

3. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

wow! that's awesome lol

4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

It worked out nicely.

Seriously, message him and see what he has to say. Powerman is also in Colorado, he may have some advice.

It's all about connections :)

5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

haha i wouldnt want him to feal guilty for not hiring me :p dont want to force him into it

6. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

It seems to me you need to sit down and write out your plan for the next year. it should include several budgets. the first one should be a breakdown of what your setup costs you to maintain as it is right now. how much money does that allow you to save towards your move. how much more can you save if you shut it down.

the next budget to consider is the moving cost, they include rental trucks or moving company, housing cost (first and last months rent and or security deposit) vehicle registrations and insurance if changing states, furnature (do you have the basics yet?)

those 2 should give you a realistic look at how much your gonna need and long it will take to save with your current resources

personally having watched you over the last 7 months setting everything up I think it would be heart breaking to see you shut it all down now, but ultimately it will depend on how bad you want to move out.

1 person likes this.
  7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

thats another really good way to look at things.

and as far as maintaining my tank as it is now it only costs me $21 a month because its a really simple setup

and the budgeting moving cost is going to be a big one, especially since theres so much that i will have to do when i move out

and yea its going to be extremly hard not to buy anything and eventually shut it all down for a while. But i really want to move so at least i know sometime down in the futur i will be able to set up the tank again

8. Click Here!

9. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

oh yeah, and dont forget before u move any where u would want to learn their language since ur not gonna be in cali anymore that might be (hella) hard

ps because ppl from California say Hella and Hecka

10. bluetang08

bluetang08 Purple Spiny Lobster

Just read this whole thread. Everyone has given great advise so I don't wanna sound like a broken record. Just curious why CO? your situation by the way is exactly the reason it took me so long to have a SW. I knew that at my parents house I would have to move the whole setup eventually same as apts so after living in apts for 6 years I finally bought a house in '08 and once settled one of the first things I did was start researching (which is where I discovered 3reef!). Basically what Im saying is unless you are signing like a 2 year lease I personally wouldnt want to setup the tank just to tear it down once a year when you move (assuming your situation ends up like mine with roomate and relationship probs you just never know). But definetley don't sell your equipment you can use it again one day.

11. oakvad

oakvad Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Well heres a few things to get you going in your search and maybe give you a better idea of whats out there. When your diong a search for jobs, housing, and whatnot keep in mind all the suburbs and outliening areas. some cities nearby are, boulder, wesminster, arvada, parker, littleton, those are suburbs, close cities are johnstown - 30 miles, longmont -20 miles, loveland - 45 miles, ft collins - 55 miles.
    Heres a site to check out

ColoradoHelpWanted.com - - Localized employment portal for the US state of Colorado

Good hunting

12. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

Lol that's only northern California