What would be causing my pH to fall during the day?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by leighton1245, Oct 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I just purchased a CO2 scrubber from BRS since I was having the same issues. Come winter time it is hard to not have a build up of co2. Your house is closed up and O2 is no longer entering while CO2 is leaving.

I don't like the Kalk option because when your rate of evaporation changes, you will need to mess with your 2-part dosing amounts. Of course, if you don't dose 2-part, it isn't an issue.

2. Click Here!

3. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

I actually just bought a Ca reactor so i shouldnt have to mess with the levels once i get the reactor set correctly. Then i can focus on my tank build lol

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Whoops, sorry, missed this. Could be stirring too much. When you stir a lot, you introduce CO2, which can lead to calcium carbonate. This will not redissolve and may cause the kalk to remain cloudy. I think how quickly this happens will depend on how fine the kalk is. BRS kalk is very fine and probably should not be stirred more than a few seconds. By chance is Kalk+2 a little thicker or more grainy?

leighton1245 sounds good, but definitely monitor your tank, ca reactors tend to lower the pH of a system. Some people need to run kalk to offset this.

5. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

Sweet thank you.

6. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

your welcome, the kalk worked well for me when i was having the same issues. you will find that your ph will stabilize and you won't have to mess with it. keep and eye on your mag though, i have had to dose mag from time to time

7. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

kalk+2 is fine. you know i forget how the BRS was to compare the two. just remember it not mixing well, maybe there was a trick to it , and i was doing it wrong? with the kalk+2 i just put it in the water 2 to 3 swirls of the spoon and its mixed.
    and you were right i still do have to dose mag from time to time. not that much though.