What will I need to do to get best quality?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by wasitgreen, May 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wasitgreen

wasitgreen Feather Duster

My tank is 10 days old, and because I have used rocks and R/O saltwater from an established tank, Stability bacteria and live sand (wet) my tank cycled on day 1. I have 2 clowns (True Percs) that were recommended @ day 7, and they are thriving. It's a 40 breeder and I just want to know what needs to be done to optimize the water:
    PH: 8.2
    SG: 1.23
    Ammonia: .25 and going down
    NO2: 0
    NO3: 0
    KH: 8

2. Click Here!

3. R33f

R33f Astrea Snail

4. wasitgreen

It has a canister filter (XP3) but I'm thinking of a sump instead/also.

5. R33f

R33f Astrea Snail

I would definitely look into a sump over a canister filter, there's tons of info on building your own out of a small used tank, just use the search function.

P.S. Everyone appreciates pics :D

6. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

means you may not have cycled in one day. 0 is where you want to be and HIGHLY recommend not adding anymore livestock for now. give it some time, thats the best thing you can do to get good stability in the tank.

1 person likes this.
  7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

This.

Plus, saying that clownfish are thriving after a week is kinda ignorant to the fact that a clownfish could probably live in 2% milk for a week.

8. Click Here!

9. R33f

R33f Astrea Snail

hahaha!

10. wasitgreen

Alright thanks, I've been wanting one, but the canister came with the tank, I will probably just make one. [​IMG]

Ya, it's at around .15 now (hard to tell with water colors and chart) and I am not adding anything else for a month to let everything settle. The only reason I added them are because I have read many times they are good fish to cycle with, and since I was near the end of the cycle.

I didn't mean thriving, but they are doing good, little stress, moving freely, and no signs of and disease or problems.

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  11. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

before everyone tells you that canisters are evil, take that witha grain of salt. a canister, ats, skimmer, whatever is still better than nothing. sump/fuges are just the preferred method. a sump fuge also gives the most selection of components to use.

12. wasitgreen

I am most likely going to make a sump and either use the canister as another extra filter, or as the pump (i.e. water into sump>goes through filtration etc.>canisters intake valve acts as the pump>water goes through further filtration>powerheads push water into tank) if that would work.