What will grow on/in my live rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by cdc, Jul 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cdc

cdc Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have had my first saltwater tank for a few months now and the live rock has cured. Will any creatures start to grow on the rock as I have read about people seeing things come out of the rock when the lights go out.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You would have most likely seen anything by now but there may be some surprises on the way.

You may get alga and coral provided the rock came from the ocean besides snail and worms.

4. jeff@zina.com

[email protected] Flamingo Tongue

First, nothing will spontaneously appear in your tank. If bristle worms or the like didn't hitchhike in, they don't just appear out of thin air. But getting a piece of rock from a friend, or the LFS, can seed what rock you have and life will expand exponentially.

Jeff

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1 to both replies...

What I see a lot these days is cured base rock, the same thing you would have by placing much cheaper dry rock in your own tank for 2 - 3 weeks, being sold as "live rock" for the full price of LR. If that's what you bought, there's nothing in it.

OTOH, I set a tank up a few years ago with base rock and bought 1 piece of true LR, app 2lbs, to seed the base. 3 months later, my tank was loaded with pods, bristleworms, aiptasia, majano, and sundial snails. Needless to say, I don't care much for hitchhikers anymore. Not all surprises are good.

6. cdc

cdc Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Ok, I probably do have the base rock. The tank was setup before I got it so I don't know exactly what they used.

Would you recommend getting a piece of true live rock to put in my tank?