What will eat this macro algae?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by malac0da13, Oct 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Argh stupid tapatalk is being a pain...Had to get on the computer anyway...

So anyway...Any idea what kind of macro algae this is and what I might be able to get to eat it. It started out as one nice tuff of it but has since exploded into patches all over my tank and I am afraid it will start choking out corals. I have 2 Clowns, 2 Chromis, 2 Peppermint Shrimp, 1Cleaner Shrimp, and 1 Tomini Tang. Thanks for the help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

It appears to be Caulerpa Prolifera. Had some on a piece of LR once- my Emerald crab wiped it out before it had a chance to spread.

4. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Not from the pictures I just looked up. Its a dark brown. I'll have to look around at macro pics see if I can match it till tomorrow when my lights come back on.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

5. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

i would just use the old fashion hands and pull it out that type will pull out real easy;)

6. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

That's what I been tying and it seems to make it worse. It might be sargassum(sp?) Anything eat it?

7. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Pencil Urchins love it!! However once it's gone it'll start in on your Coraline. Mine did so I rehomed it.

8. Click Here!

9. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

tangs should make short work of it. now if appears you have a bloom going on, the water is cloudy, slime bubbles on the glass, the over flow wall appears to have algae growing on it. it looks like maybe phosphates, and silica may be at work here. it can be a real battle to fix, and your right it grows quickly, if your not usung ro/di water that would be a good thing to do. if your dosing chemicals i would stop and cut feeding down a little until the bloom is under control, scrape the hold tank and do a 25% waterchange right after the scrape, do another in 5 days, if you have a mechanical filter use it has well, clean the skimmer if you have one, put in a bag of carbon or gfo in or both if you have them. if you cut the source of whats causing the bloom you will cut the algae down and your fish and coral will love you for it and you will to. i know that this is more than you ask for but i believe you need to do this in order to get things under control.

10. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Any tangs in particular I should be looking at? I kinda wanted to get another fish anyway. As for the bloom I don't really think so. The water isn't cloudy it is more or less just the pictures. The slime bubbles you saw aren't really slime bubbles they are like snail eggs or something else hard and white. The algae on the overflow is the scroll algae I have been battling since first setting up the tank...That ish is impossible to get off lol. I do run ro/di just bought a brand new one a couple months ago and I don't know where I would get silicates from as my tank is bare bottom and the sand in my fuge is like almost 3 years old brought over from my other tank(after rinsing of course). Exploding was also being a little over dramatic. It hasn't been growing extremely fast. It's just every time I rip/cut some out it seems to pop up somewhere else because a tiny piece will latch on somewhere and start growing lol. I also would like to avoid crabs at all cost because I spent like a year trying to get one out that was torturing and killed two expensive fish that I had in my 90(a magnificent fox face and a blonde naso). Thanks for all your help though guys.

I will take a good picture tomorrow with my real camera to get a more positive ID. It looks similar to the sargassum but the leaves seem to branch more. Kind of like this one...

[​IMG]

11. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

all the branching algae i have ever had, my yellow and redsea sailfin tank has got rid of it before i could get a good look at it;)

12. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

All the stuff I have pulled out I through in my fuge so I can keep feeding it to the fish if it likes it and I wont be worried if it roots somewhere again as long as something is keeping it in check. I couldn't put a sailfin in my tank but a yellow would be ok.