What will eat my algae??

Discussion in 'Algae' started by cooljjay, Mar 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cooljjay

cooljjay Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Ok there is a photo below. I have no idea where it came from but I need some little creator to eat it up. I had one little crab that kept my tank cleaner then a surgical room, but I put a benny in their and he ate him with in an hour. So I put him in the sump well now the sump is well maintained and the main tank is full of algae. I have goby's in there now and don't dare stick him back up there. I want more turbos but mr crabs intends on stealing there shells so the big turbo had to go in the sump, i have a small turbo and another snail but they don't do the jod. the benny doesn't do what hes suppose to do. I have no idea what next to try with out the creator snacking on a fish. Money is extermely tight at the moment so I can't go out and get a huge clean up crew like I would like to. I started to pick it off but it seems to spread, i toss it in the sump and the crab gobbles it up with in a day. I will cut down on feeding and remove the strange plastic bale out of the skimmer, and save up for a big clean up crew. But wondering if you guys know of a good creator to help??

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

I have the same type if algae in my tank - only a little not quite as much as you.
    I have all different types of turbos including mexican and none are touching it - but i've been doing some research as i believe its derbresia. Sea urchins eat it and also sea hares i think.

4. CAPOEIRA014

CAPOEIRA014 Plankton

I read in another thread, that a woman used a sea horse to eat this type of algae. She said, once she put it in the sea horse went to town - practically clearing away all algae.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Sea hare is probably what you're talking about? Sea horses do not eat algae. Can you take a close up picture of the algae so we can give you a positive i.d. on it?

6. ThirstyDuck

ThirstyDuck Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I had the same problem. I have a 90 gallon and I put in 30 blue leg crabs and in about a week it was a lot better. It's been a month now and no sign of algae. They clean all day and night. Cost me $30 for them, well worth it.

7. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

The sea hare and Pumpkin Urchin are your best bang for your buck.. Only thing is when the sea hare cleans house to well you need to find him a new home if he starves to death he can nuke your tank.. Meaning when it dies releases a toxin that can wipe your tank out..

If i am wrong please someone help me out..!!

Good luck.....

8. Click Here!

9. white-rasta

white-rasta Bristle Worm

aree you using tap water?

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I can't See the algae myself and unless I can see what type it is then there is no way for me to-say would could control it .. There are many algae species now days in the hobby nothing will eat . Or nothing we can find or get hold of..Post a brighter photo first ..