What was your biggest mistake with your aquarium?

Discussion in '3reef Site Polls' started by Matt Rogers, Aug 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

What was your biggest mistake with your aquarium?

1. Aquarium Size

31 vote(s)
    18.6%
  2. Lighting

33 vote(s)
    19.8%
  3. Filtration

23 vote(s)
    13.8%
  4. Overstocking

9 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. Overfeeding

14 vote(s)
    8.4%
  6. Other

57 vote(s)
    34.1%
  1. brettwest

brettwest Spaghetti Worm

Im pretty new to the salt hobby so I havent made too many big mistakes that I know of but the one thing that has caused me problems was trusting the lfs to mix salt water correctly.In six more months i'll probably be able to look back and list something else.My best thing I have going for me is I can't afford to do too much too fast.Im glad I found 3reef.

2. Click Here!

3. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

Would they let you take some home? Say "Hey, it's just water."

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

That is just a filter. If your bringing in outside air in the winter you will have to heat it and in the summer have to cool it. This transfers around 80% of the energy. That save a lot of money when you need to fresh air. I burn a ventless fireplace and it runs havoc on my Oxygen levels and pH in the tank during the winter. I have a associates degree in HVAC so installation is free :)
    Fantech: Heat & Energy Recovery Ventilators

5. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

That's the first time I've ever seen the word carboy. I learned a new word today. Thanks, dorian. :)

6. Redbeard

Redbeard Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Grossly underestimating the cost of maintenance was without doubt my biggest blunder. Money spent on the light fixture + lamp changes + chiller + skimmer pump + return pump + wave pumps + power consumption (two 15 amp circuits) = a ridiculous amount of money.

If I had it to do over that money would be spent on a green house in the back yard. Being in zone 9 cooling would of course be of concern in the summer but the cost of lighting would be 0 dollars. If needed a small diy solar water heater would suffice in the winter. One pump could feed a protein skimmer and a couple of Carlson type surge devices.

7. pks4life420

pks4life420 Fire Worm

not using ro water :{

8. Click Here!

9. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

I have to say using a deep sand bed! It was pretty but I think I got a huge sulfar build up that was causing problems!

10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I had to look that one up myself. Never seen it either.

11. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

Mine was diving all into a full 180 setup which causing you to become broke very fast lol

12. KY_Tanked

KY_Tanked Fire Worm

Starting with a freshwater tank when I wanted a salt. What a waste of money on something that I only wanted to change.
    Second would be trying to keep 3 tanks with 3 kids under 4! I had not time to take proper care. I 90g is just fine...