What was I thinking?!

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by TheSaltwaterGuy, Dec 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Well I didn't think it'd come to this but I'm leaving the saltwater hobby. I really didn't want to but it's all because my stupid tank had to crack. My dad won't even help me fix it by putting silicone or whatever its called and I have no idea how or where to put all of that water. It took me FOREVER to fill it up with RO water and I've used so much money and since my dad won't help me I can't do anything. so bye 3reef; thanks for all your help :cry:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. jmc2009209

jmc2009209 Flamingo Tongue

Do you want a new tank, I can donate.

4. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

nah it's fine; ive already killed so many fish and corals and obviously all that money went down the drain, and I think it's just for the best. I don't think that a beginner would have killed organisms at a total of $300 :-/

5. jmc2009209

jmc2009209 Flamingo Tongue

Shoot i did, I killed at least $400. LOL

6. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

i wont even give amount for me. but sorry to see you go

7. BananaBoat

BananaBoat Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

+1 Indeed. Christmas is coming up! :) I know petsmart sells a 125 for less than a biocube... Heheh. Or even a 25 gal for $50. How bad is the crack?

8. Click Here!

9. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Sorry to hear that you could get a donated tank salvage your water sand and rock and just go for a smaller tank and cheaper less light demanding corals. I'm new at the hobby myself and my now 29 gal nano started at 10g and has been stable at that size and the former 20g with just minimal equipment.

I see that you're young so money is probably an issue but surely there is some sort of job you can pick up in order to support your tank. Just go extra slow and use hardy fish....I too have my fair share of deaths ($250-300 worth), and it sucks.

Either way I wish you the best and if you don't continue in the hobby now I hope someday you can pick it up again and be more successful.

10. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

so bad that ITS UNDER THE SAND! HOW THE F*** IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE! but of course my family is notable for unlucky events; for example, I gave a religion report yesterday and got a 35 out of 30 (extra points) and my teacher doesnt even remember i presented so I might have to present AGAIN! AND I HATE STANDING UP IN FRONT OF PEOPLE! :angry:

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Don't give up so easily, I am sure I have lost far more livestock than you have. It is unfortunately part of the learning curve. Keep your live rock in a large garbage can with a pump circulating the water and make water chenge every couple of weeks until you can replace the tank. Then just go slow on the next build. Repairing cracked glass with silicone is a risky venture at best.

12. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Thanks; that means a lot. Although I might be bringing my tank down, I will definitely continue in the future. and I honestly almost started to cry; telling my dad about the crack and him asking about my corals and me telling him 3 of 5 died and his red face and frustration I FEEL LIKE A JACK@$$!!! I just dont know what to do now, and I would accept the tank as a donation but first of all I heard that it's harder to maintain a small tank (at least 29 suited me) and I just need a break right now. Well while I'm at it I guess I'm gonna be giving away some stuff; I have a small favia and some zoas that have an orange center; any takers.....:cry: