What type off lighting?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by kiarah, Dec 8, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

Hi I have a tread on ASAP at the mo but my tank is only 3 months old and i when to my lfs thats closing down and ended up with a carpet anemone which i was assured was a leather coral! anyway i need to find out asap what my bulbs are in my tank as it was ex-display with not instructions! took some pics (not that they will probably help!) but checked them for writing and this was on the end caps : T867 26mm and there are 4 off them, but the same writing was on each bulb end but they produce different lighting! so confuced so can antone suggest what they are and if i can put some t5s in my hood?
    To be honest im taking the carpet back to the shop today and am gutted as my two clowns made it there new home with in hours off me putting it there but im not exsperianced so think it would be bad to keep it,
    While im at the shop i want to get the correct light bulbs so iding the ones i have will help and also ant advice on what i should get will help!
    Thanks K:-[

2. Click Here!

3. kiarah

Been on manufact website and think i have 2 X Aquabright - 25 watt each :provides balanced light output to promote coral growth.
    1X Aqua white "5 watt - provides high output midday light ideally used with 2 X Aquabright bulbs
    1 X Aquablu - provides true blue many coral need to thrive

Do you think this will be sutible lighting for my toadstool leather &i have and eventually when im ready a anemone?

If not what light bulbs would you suggest?
    Thanks K

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

If I had to guess by the numbers you posted, I would have to say that you have, T8 bulbs at 67 watts. I've never had T-bulbs before so I dont know if they will be enough for anemones, but from I have seen and read, it looks like they would be fine. I had a LTA under 130 watts(1-65w dayight and 1-65w act) of PC for yrs and it did great. Some pics of your lighting would help greatly. Luna

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Sorry, I just saw your other thread with the pics of the light. They look like some kind of T bulbs( T5, T8...etc) If so, your anemone should be fine. I've seen SPS's under T-bulbs and they do fine. Luna

6. kiarah

Hi ya here are some pics also have aload off pics on asap 'what to do?'
    Thanks for your input , its hreat when people help out!
    K

Attached Files:

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I would take the lights to your LFS and ask them what kind of lights are they. Kill your doubt. Luna

8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I wouldn't go with a carpet under those types of lights. Not only do they make a poor choice for a novice reefer, but not having the right equipment to support them puts the nail in their coffin, in my opinion. Carpets and the magnificent anemones are the most difficult and delicate of all the anemones. Their is a myriad of other beautiful and enjoyable inhabitants that you could add to your tank offering you enjoyment and entertainment for years, with their survival rate better suited for someone with your skill level and equipment.
    Good luck

2 people like this.
  10. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

That type of lighting ( T8 ) is not enough for light intensive animals. T8 is considered normal output, generally 20-30w for a 24" lamp. Even with 4 of them, that will give 80-120w. Carpets need very strong lighting. Even with a load of T5, the carpet will need to be close to the surface and the light will need to be close to the surface to get as much light as it needs to photosynthesize to survive.

11. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

I'm glad that you are asking what is right for it. I have seen people in my LFS refuse and think they are the exception to the rule. "Well that Crocea will be fine with my 18W 9" PCF!" It's also unfortunate when a LFS will blatantly lie to a customer to make a quick sale and not care about the well being of the animal they are selling. While you are looking for the proper lighting, keep a close eye on your carpet. If it starts to open its mouth and expells a dark thick stringy liquid, get it out of your tank STAT. Good luck with that, keep us informed.