What type of music do you listen to?

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by jhawkor, Jul 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tronb24

tronb24 Coral Banded Shrimp

Half of the time it's Hip Hop, but not the kind you hear on the radio that rap only about money, sex, violence and other nonsense. Artist/Groups like; Sage Franics, Talib Kweli, Aesop Rock, Mos Def and The Roots.

The other half of the time is funk, jazz, rock and old school R&B. Artist/Groups like; Funkadelic, Parliment, Jimmi Hendrix, John Coltrane, Otis Redding, Etta James, Billy Holiday, Marvin Gaye and Charles Mingus.

No country. No metal.

2. Click Here!

3. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Dave Matthews is one incredibly talented guitarist. He can sing and play lead impossibly well. "What Would You Say" is a good example.

1 person likes this.
  4. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

that he is..my life will be complete when i can cover all of his songs..i'd say i'm 35% there haha

5. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

He may have talent yes. but listen to the sounds of his strings or any of his back up! they have talent that backs him up. Sting or the police remind me so much of this. the singer gets the credit but the sounds to the ear are what makes the differenace!

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Speaking of Sting.........I saw him in concert once and he sounded like s**t. At one point, I could have sworn he was lip-singing. Big disappointment!

Luna

7. 4phish

4phish Montipora Digitata

GD, Phish, Widespread Panic, Moe, Keller Williams, My Morning Jacket and Umphreys Mcgee, just to name a few. I listen to a lot of Jam music really. Patty Griffin and Ryan Adams have been heavily listened to recently. I am also a huge fan of bluegrass!

8. Click Here!

9. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

i agree..dave is talented..but boyd and the late leroi moore have just as much if not more

10. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

That is a big dissapointment! I thought he was one of the legendes of music! oh well.

11. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

No doubt. I agree that a big part of Dave Matthews is his "band," and although they're not technically studio musicians, they have decent talent. Dave Matthews "band" is much like Steely Dan. Steely Dan is two guys, really. Donald Fagen and Walter Becker, (singer/keyboards and guitar, respectively) have had countless guys backing them up over the years--yet still tour as Steely Dan. The fact is, they ARE Steely Dan--just those two. The guys that back them up really know how to play their instruments. And that makes sense. The high dollar bands can afford good help.

Studio musicians play a large role in music. They shape the music scene. Bob Dylan is considered a solo act, but for his entire career, he's surrounded himself with the finest musicians money can buy. But--he can get rid of one group, and he's still the core of the act.

Ever hear of Toto? Formed in 1977, they're another example. Their three hit songs, "Hold The Line," "Africa," and, "Rosanna," sound like songs from 3 different bands. Ever notice that? That's because the band Toto is a bunch of studio musicians. These guys are true pros.

Did you see the movie "That Thing You Do?" There's a scene where, after they have their first hit song, the movie's title--the bassist goes off to the military. The three remaining members have their doubts about a new 4th guy hired impromptu, to take his place. The lead singer asks him if he has what it takes. A few bass licks later, they all realize this new guy is 10 times the bassist they just "lost." Studio musician.

And so it goes. In one way, it's like our democracy here in the good 'ol USA--no one part can stand without the other two branches. In other ways, with certain "bands," like Dave Matthews, IMHO--he could grab another handful of guys and still be The Dave Matthews band. As could Donald Fagen and Walter Becker. But the Police--they were a unit. Sting has had a fantastically sucessful solo career, but he's not The Police. On the other hand, when I saw The Police in 1984 or so, Sting played "Bring On The Night" solo, with an electric upright bass and a single blue spotlight. I'd give a gonad to be able to bottle that moment.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  12. dorian

dorian Feather Duster

Toto. Is amazing.

I'm a big jazz freak. I studied classical piano and jazz guitar in college, been in bands all my life.

Currently in one. Right now, I'm in a metal band, our label just released our album. Its my split persona. Really weird, cause I have all these "beaker and bunsen" friends from the labs....but I have like "fans".... Its really weird sometimes my inbox on myspace is full of "hi!! OMGZ !!", and pictures people have taken of me...I had to get another one, for my nonband things. My facebook is nonband affiliated, I wont even "friend" my mates. HAHAHA. But I'm truly grateful to be where I am. I dont take it for granted. Not for ONE second. I did stop my PhD for this. :-/ haha

We are nothing special, we have a real limited audience bc of our style. Our label just landed us airplay on the 3rd biggest online radio station in the world, whatever that is. We will be getting distribution through Best Buy soon, and in walmart for a compilation cd for Jesse James I think...But I just play for fun. I'm endorsed by Peavey guitars and amps among things. no big deal. I just landed a Monster energy drink endorsement after Full Throttle dumped me, so Im happy about that.

We play with the likes of Lamb of God, Children of Bodom, Unearth etc...for genre reference. We are currently writing our next album, (they are killing us, we have to get 10 songs done by sept 1st, we have a bunch of material, but its not arranged final just yet)....will go into the studio this winter, our producer is a Grammy nominated guy, produced platinum and gold records...he's done Steve Vai, Korn, Destinys Child ... haha among things... next summer is our big one, we'll tour the US some more then hit Germany...would love to meet you guys sometime...play a show then trade frags backstage in the greenroom with jager bombs all around! Then talk jazz, chemistry, and REEF

Anywho. Like anyone asked huh? Its liberating to tell. I play the plumbus guitar btw ;)