What type of lighting is best for me?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by tpasche, Sep 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tpasche

tpasche Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

OK so i have a 46 gal bowfront, 68lbs LR and am about ready to upgrade my lighting.

Right now i have 1 standard fluorescent 50/50 bulb.
    I am looking at fixtures on ebay and found a Compact PC lamp for $75
    View it here

Is that a good way to go? I would like to get soft corals to start out in the future, don't plan on getting corals that are difficult as i'm still a beginner.

Is this the right type, or should i go with T5's or MH?
    I'd prefer not MH cuz they are so darn expensive...

Think this is a good buy or should I keep searching?

Thanks in advance!

2. Click Here!

3. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

Not sure if this will help you at all. But I have the same tank and plan on starting with softies and lps and eventually sps. So I went with the 4x39 t5 tek ho light for $350. Others can give you more options

4. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

I would go T5 or halide. If price is a concern, get a quality fixture used on craigslist, ebay, or local reef club. Just keep in mind the life of the bulbs. I would pass on the light your looking at and keep looking.

~Will.

5. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

You are looking at an odyssea PC fixture on ebay. I had one myself until recently. Honestly, not the way you want to go. The light output is not very good, especially compared with T5 fixtures. With the Odyssea fixture you might be able to keep soft corals, but you'd have a tough time with LPS and would not be able to keep SPS or clams at all. I would seriously consider a T5 fixture. Just be sure it will fit over your bowfront tank properly.

6. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

I don't know much about lights, but I'll just throw this out there. Does it need/ have a ballast with it? I'm only asking because I have 2x 36 PCs over my 24 and it has a ballast, and the ebay lights are alot bigger so I'm just wondering.

7. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

Wait, does your tank have a hood covering it, in which the lights are hidden? If so, you will want a retrofit light fixture. If there is no hood, you can consider a regular fixture.

8. Click Here!

9. tpasche

tpasche Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

With new lights i plan on doing away with the hood.

10. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

All fluorescent lights, except the ones that look like light bulbs and screw into normal light sockets, have ballasts. weather it be internal or external its there.

~Will.

11. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

Good to know Will I was just wondering because my ballast is huge, so I was wondering if it could fit internally because it looked small, and I didn't read on ebay that it came with an external one.

12. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

Pc lights are not the best way to, but dont let anyone tell you it cant be done with pcs. The 30 gallon tank of the month on rc has 3 small pc lamps and keeps anything and everything and the colors are AMAZING!

Now, if you can get t5hos or MH i suggest that but if the money isnt there right now you could def keep lps and softies and zoas n palys