What type of gloves?

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Stammer, Dec 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stammer

Stammer Bristle Worm

I have been reading on this forum and am interested in starting some coral frags. Understand that one should wear gloves when handeling. What type of gloves are people using. I was thinking of a snug fit vinyl or latex type, but then I wondered what was going to happen once I submerged my hand in my 2 foot deep tank? The water is just going to seep into the glove.... Certainly you don't wear long gauntlet style do you? I could see wear you wouldn't want any skin to be exposed to coral and or the water?

2. Click Here!

3. kwinter1

kwinter1 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

never fragged before but rubberbands around the top?

4. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

You could try dish washing gloves with rubber bands. The hand protection is for when your cutting up coral to protect against toxins. You don't need them when you put your hand in your tank really:)

5. Stammer

Stammer Bristle Worm

I realize that , but I have been reading some nasty things about toxins being released by Zoas and such. My understanding is that if you have any point on your skin that can come into contact with it could be a problem. Such as small cuts. Say for instance a hang-nail that has been pulled back could be an entry point for infections and such. I am just beginning to think that maybe messing with live corals and such may not be a risk I want to bring into my home.:-/

6. SwimsWithFish

Yes that's very true. But not all corals are like that, zoanthids are the only common coral that you have to worry about that I know of. Most corals are perfectly safe. If you use proper skin and eye protection and wash your hands you should be ok. And remember, it's the nasty juices inside the zoa that are poisonous, not the actual zoa. You would have to cut the coral in half without gloves to get any real reaction.

7. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

You should actually use gloves anytime you put your hands in the tank. You can get some nasty infections if you have a cut or anything. Im real bad at it, i have the gloves just forget to put them on sometimes. But you can search around and find some of the horror stories about what can happen if you dont wear them. The ones I have are the longs ones, come up over my elbow.

8. Click Here!

9. BioFreak

BioFreak Feather Duster

This is what I use but, I didn't pay much for mine. They run about $20 a pair in the LFSs. Like pgoodell's gloves these come up past the elbow

Coralife Aqua Gloves
    [​IMG]

10. SwimsWithFish

Yeah they sell those at my LFS too.

11. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Those are great for in the tank.^

If you frag a zoa outside the tank, like in a small cup or bowl of SW, then you can use non-powdered latex gloves. You should be able to find them in the pharmacy section at Walmart. Maybe the auto-department (not sure about that one)?

12. Stammer

Stammer Bristle Worm

OK, those sound good. Thanks everybody for your thoughts.