Resolved What type of fish is this? (vid)

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by MoJoe, Sep 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

*EDIT* the fish has been ID'd as a Blue Whiptail (Pentapodus sp) thanks Frick!

I bought this fish from my LFS labeled as a "purple sunfish". In my years going there I've never seen one like it nor can I find any info on the net about it or pics.

Check out the video, at the beginning and at the 1min mark you will see a long-ish purple fish with horizontal yellow stripes, arrow-like, almost has a mouth like a snakehead. It's a beautiful fish, eats like a pig and the colors in person are amazing its purple body and stripes glow under normal lights. I'd love to know more about it:

(best viewed in HD of course)

Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

He looks like a type of Basslet.

Following.

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

My LFS had those a week or so ago. They were in with the damsels, so I didn't really pay much attention to a name for them or ask, as no more damsels are going near my tank.

That being said, not sure that it was a damsel, my LFS workers still think aiptasia is pretty and good for a tank;(

If ya don't get it figured out PM me, and I'll go ask what they were.

Great looking fish, if it turns out to not be a damsel, maybe I'll go pick one up;)

Edit, doesn't look like a damsel at all, not sure why i don't question everything when I go there:(

5. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

Awesome looking tank!

1 person likes this.
  6. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Thanks for the comments, def not a damsel, yeah I would lean toward a basslet of some sort like Corailline mentioned.

It's very peaceful, bothers noone, and has a very "stop, start" method of swimming, it zooms around in little bursts and then stops cold. I'm usually pretty good about figuring an ID out but I'm stumped. I looked up "candy basslet" and it's similar but not really the same.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Is this him?

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

It looks like it might be a Tilefish.

10. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

11. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Actually nevermind my last post, the picture I linked was not a sunfish but actually listed as an Ozark Minnow

Hmm, strange how it had a very similar body shape to my mystery fish, I'm still confused on what I have hmmm.

12. Frick

Frick Bristle Worm