What type of cement for diy frag plugs

Discussion in 'Frags' started by bbrian189, Oct 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bbrian189

bbrian189 Skunk Shrimp

What type of portland cement should I use for my diy frag plugs.. I have read type 1, 2, or 3. Does it matter which one? Which one is the best.

Also any paticular type of play sand is okay as well?

I am going to go look for this stuff at home depot.

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

For making fake rocks and things like that, the type of cement can be a factor. However, for make frag plugs and such, it really doesn't matter.

Certain corals encrust a little quicker on aragonite sands as it's made of ancient coral skeletons. It's also smoother than Silica sand (sharp sand) and that's why most frag plugs are made with this.

Just remember that it's going to take quite a while for the plugs to cure to the point where they don't affect pH. An easy way to do this is to throw them into the tank of your toilet. Every time you flush, new lower pH water will replace the high pH water. After a month, take one out and drop it in a little cup of saltwater for 12 hours and then test the pH. If it's higher than 8.3, it needs to be cured longer.

1 person likes this.
  4. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

Who knew a toilet played a pivotal role in reefing aside from flushing your recently deceased. Learn something new every day!

5. bbrian189

bbrian189 Skunk Shrimp

I cant wait to throw my frag plugs in the toilet!

6. bbrian189

bbrian189 Skunk Shrimp

SO now that I got the cement...what type of sand do you guys use. I heard some of the play sands like from home depot have silica in them which is bad. I wanted to use araganite sand but its expensive.

What type of sand do you guys use?

Where do you get it?

7. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

8. Click Here!

9. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1

Fine aragonite. As Inwall pointed out, silica-based play sand may be too sharp for some corals to encrust over.

10. bbrian189

bbrian189 Skunk Shrimp

...where do you get it .. i dont wanna pay $1 a pound for stupid sand.

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

My hardware store (but not my Home Depot nor Lowes) sells playbox sand that is made out of aragonite.

12. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Why do you wanna use sand? I made my diy rock with portland cement and crushed oyster shells. The oyster shells can be found at a farm supply store in the chicken feed section. Makes a more realistic looking piece. The sand and cement will be smooth and dense.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk