what tyoe of algae is this?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by tresguey, Dec 7, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tresguey

tresguey Fire Worm

:-/ i have been getting this algae that kind of looks like cyanobacteria but has alot of long strings on it. i have heard that it was not cyano but something different. how can i get rid of it and what is it? :huh:

2. Click Here!

3. allaboutfish37

allaboutfish37 Feather Duster

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Is the algae red or brown? If it's brown, it's probably dinoflagellates.

5. tresguey

tresguey Fire Worm

its brown. and it goes away on the night cycle but comes back up after about 4 hours of light.

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

I agree with Amcarrig, it sounds like Dinoflagellates to me too, The common types are photosynthetic but also thrive in water with high levels of nutrients.

I would check the Phosphate and Nitrate levels in the water and if too high would use a method to lower the levels. If the levels seem OK, then shorten or interupt the light cycle for a while and see if that has an effect :)

JOhn

7. tresguey

tresguey Fire Worm

my nitrates are at 10. i am going to buy a phosphate soon so i dont know what it is. i do a 5 gallon water change weekly useing catalina premix from my lfs. is this enough or should i step it up to 10 gallons?

8. Click Here!

9. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Tresguey,

Don't ask me about regular water changes, as I don't do them, ever :)

John

10. tresguey

tresguey Fire Worm

thats the way i used to be. until i had alot of people tell me it was better to do that. maybe i may stop for a while keep up with the chemestry and see what happens. i dont know where to go from here

11. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=tresguey link=board=General;num=1102497463;start=0#7 date=12/08/04 at 23:01:39]thats the way i used to be. until i had alot of people tell me it was better to do that. maybe i may stop for a while keep up with the chemestry and see what happens. i dont know where to go from here[/quote]

You know Tresguey, the subject has been done to death and I am not going to go over the whole water change issue again here, I simply haven't got THAT much energy :)

To help with the current problem, certainly check the Phosphate levels, and try to get them down if they are high. Just remember that whatever you do, try to do it slowly, without any major and sudden changes unless you find it absolutely necessary :)

Cheers

John

12. tresguey

tresguey Fire Worm

thanks for the help john.