What Two Hanna Testers should I get?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Biocube, Jul 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

You ever use Elos?

2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

No, but I have heard good things overall. I would only use Salifert for mag.. Mag has so much testing noise and I got sold on salifert as being a clear winner.. I don't remember the argument why. But it convinced me after reading for a while.

I'm sure either will give you good results though.

4. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I'll get a Salifert for Mag, you tank looks amazing, I'll take your advise.

5. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

Biocube, I wasnt trying to win anything, but I sure didnt want you to waste your money on Cal checker. Way too much room for error and not at all convenient IMO. Salifert is what I use and the other thing that helps me, is i have a red sea titrator and use it with my salifert calcium test. One handed dripping and shaking makes it a breeze.

what you see on the right:
    [​IMG]

6. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

I just switched from salifert to elos for mag, It has an extra step involved for doing the test but takes an extra 2 minutes to complete. I was getting different results using the salifert kit even if i retested the same day, so i replaced the salifert kit with another salifert and same problem. Then went and got the elos kit, it has given me the same reading each time, so i found it to be more accurate.

Red Sea looks good, But for me and i have met a few other reefers like this, Being color blind makes it damn hard to read most test kits.This is why i love my hanna checkers. I have used my calc, and alk, and check it every 3 months against a calcium ref i got with my seachem kit a while back and it has been spot on, I've used distilled water from the beginning and haven't ever had a problem with it(note yes their syringes aren't accurate, and neither are their white lines) SO use a proper syringe to measure amounts and you will get good results. I am looking forward to purchasing the phosphate to get that down to zero.

Please note... Hanna does make a magnesium checker already
    Calcium and Magnesium Portable Photometer, HI 96752 | HANNA Instruments USA
    Its used for hydroponic applications but is there any way it could be configured to use with saltwater, or only a matter of time before this becomes available for salt?

7. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Just got my Hanna ALK checker in the mail, this thing is AMAZING! My Red Sea Pro said 9.0 dKh and my Hanna said 9.74 dKh

The best part is I have my results in seconds and no guess work.