What Two Hanna Testers should I get?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Biocube, Jul 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Well I'll still test weekly, I just HATE testing for Mag.

Thanks for the input.

2. Click Here!

3. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

So I called Hanna today about the Calcium checker. They said to use Distilled (Non drinking water) for the base test to get accurate results.

4. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I just sold my Calcium checker for $20 after using it 3 times. If they put out a product, it should have been easy to use, just like their previous checkers. But after a ton of complaints and bad checkers, they are now suggesting not to use RO/DI and also not using the syringe they include with it. They want you to have to go buy distilled water, and somehow get your hands on a 1ml diabetic syringe. which is not easy depending on where you live. So I am back to using salifert for calcium.

However, the alk and phos checkers are awesome. Once you figure out what your desired dkh is, and you have your dosing dialed in, the ppm reading wont change all that much. you can easily google alkalinity conversion charts, and I have just memorized the number I expect to get. mine is 141-145 ppm always.

1 person likes this.
  5. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I understand your frustration, but when you get the steps down right the accuracy is worth it.

Distilled water - 1.00 for 1 gallon
    Syringe - Free & Walgreens

6. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

Where I live you cant just go into a pharmacy and get syringes, even if you want to pay for them. Too many illegal abuse issues. And why should I have to go buy distilled water, when I can just use a salifert test kit and use my own tank water? Just making a point on the facts. Some people are happy with them, but when compared to the quickness and ease of their other checkers, the calcium one is left lacking IMO.

7. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Alright guys, I'm placing my order tonight for the Alkalinity and Calcium checker.
    Can't wait to play with them.

8. Click Here!

9. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I hate my calcium tester for what it's worth. I have used distilled, and used a diabetic syringe.. Test 3 times back to back and get 3 numbers all 20+-PPM different...

Salifert on the other hand.. dead on 3 times in a row and takes half the time.

10. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

What type of Distilled water did you use? Drinking Distilled or Distilled Only water? The tech support guy said to NOT use Drinking Distilled water because it contains calcium and other minerals to enhance taste.

My current calcium test kit is Red Sea Pro, not to bad but I'm more into digital read outs.

What test kit do you use for Mag?

11. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Alright you guys win, I'll skip the Hanna
    Calcium for now. I am going to place my order tonight from Marine Depot. I am going to give the Elos Calcium / Magnesium test kits a try.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343513087.263325.jpg

12. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Salifert/salifert. By far the best reviews. I have used redsea too and liked it ok. I use hanna for phos/alk.