What Two Hanna Testers should I get?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Biocube, Jul 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

The HI 758 Calcium Checker®HC is extremely simple to use. First, zero the instrument by adding Reagent A and deionized water. Insert into the HI 758 and press the button. Next, remove the vial and add Reagent B and shake to dissolve. Reinsert into the Checker®HC and press the button to read the calcium concentration in ppm on the display.

2. Click Here!

3. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Well played Sir, well played. ;)

Looks like Hanna needs to step up their game. ;)

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Whats really astounding to me was I got this from Hanna's website and they are wrong(incomplete).LOL Just watched Mr. SW review of it and no where on Hanna's website does it say to add 1 ml of tank water after reagent b is placed in the vial.:confused:
    If you read those instructions it looks like they are testing the DI water.LOL

5. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Hmm that's odd! I hope they will get back to me tomorrow. Ill keep you all posted when they email me back.

6. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

WOW! So Hanna just got back to me! I won't copy and past the email out of respect but I will post highlights. ;)

So they are working on a Mag tester, I don't see it coming out until next year (Currently beta testing). As for the Calcium, they are unaware of any updated or new product being worked on.

Looks like the current Calcium unit is here to stay and MAYBE we will see a Mag tester down the road.

So the BIG question is.... Do I purchase the Ca tester??

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Oh wow; good info. I guess what I heard in the grapevine was pure rumor then; I stand corrected.

Guess I can scratch waiting for that one off my list.

8. Click Here!

9. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Scratch off Calcium and replace with Magnesium. ;)

10. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Maybe, but considering I test mag a handful of times a year, I don't know if it's worth it. :p

11. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

What?! I test weekly!

Am I doing something wrong??

12. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

An Alk test weekly is certainly a smart idea. Alk can change quickly. Cal doesn't change as quickly, but a weekly test isn't a bad idea. Biweekly might be a bit more sane, but not necessarily.

However, Mg doesn't change very fast (well, unless you have a precipitation event, in which case everything I'm saying doesn't really apply). Most people only test it monthly, and even that might be a bit excessive.

Considering I dose 3-part daily (yes, the third part is a small quantity of Mg in proportion to the Ca/Alk quantities I'm dosing), my Mg doesn't ever really change. I tend it test it every 2-3 months, especially when my Ca/Alk test out where I expect them to be. I'll only test it more often if I start to chase things a bit.

But what works for one, doesn't mean it'll work for everyone. :)