what to use ????

Discussion in 'Sand' started by SWED120, Mar 21, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SWED120

SWED120 Plankton

now i have heard that miracle mud is the best.
    i have also heard that a DSB is best.
    is there a way to combine the two and have best of both worldss without losing the benefits of the two?

2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

When I started my my DT,

My research scared me away form a DSB, and I already had a bunch of finely crushed coral and used that. I had a lot of clean, dryh base rock also, and onlh added a few small pieces of LR.
    NOw it's all live, the CC substrate etc.

So, IMHO and an opinion it is- No DSB, and not at all sure about the miracle mud- someone else will add there opinion.

4. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

I have a DSB and had no problems out of it. I've heard of miracle mud and have not done much research but I believe the miracle mud is more so for the refugium and not the whole tank

5. SWED120

SWED120 Plankton

thanks that helps some but I am wanting a clean bottom tank and I don't like the look of crushes coral. I do understand the benefits though so maybe I can include that in the sump/refugium.

6. SWED120

SWED120 Plankton

devinH
    now what is the base or what is your dsb contain? ow I have also red that miracle mud is for the sump as well but I wanted to try it in the main tank to see if it will work better or worse. but anything helps. thanks

7. DevinH

I used pink Fiji sand for a 4-5 inch sand bed. I then put live sand in my sumps fuge. The problem with mud is well.. It's mud. It doesn't really look nice to have it in your display tank. I've also heard bad stories about miracle mud so definitely research it quite a bit.

8. Click Here!

9. SWED120

SWED120 Plankton

now your pink Fiji sand is that sold as "live sand?" and than you added live sand from an already existing tank? or did you purchase live sand direct from ocean?

10. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Miracle mud is definately sump only, because you need to replace 50% of it every 6 months, so imagine having to do that to your display tank.....

11. SWED120

SWED120 Plankton

ryan
    now that makes sense. I was reading about it and it kept saying that is continuaslly adds nutrients to your system. so my question was how is it doing that cause eventually everything will get depleted. now where as 50% every 6 months that is a bit exstensive, the manufacture recommends about 50% every year so they recommended to do it all thoughtout the year. now I will not want to be changing out the mud on a regular basis so I will stay away from that.
    thank you for all the help
    but if any one has any recommendations what sand to use and where to get them. I am thinking I want something with a blue or a pink tint would look good.

12. DevinH

I do not believe they have a live variant of the sand, what I bought was dead, a cup of live sand from a fellow reefers established tank is enough to seed your sand.