What to use to mix the salt

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Kanook, Sep 30, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kanook

Kanook Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hi I am planning on getting a trash can to mix up the salt batches and im wondering what kind of powerhead or air bubbler to get?

2. Click Here!

3. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Hi
    Any powerhead will do. If it is a large can, maybe two. An airstone is helpful as well.
    Water / Salt, hand mix, then add powerhead. This works quite well for me.

Of course I got the idea from here so its not mine.

Cheers

1 person likes this.
  4. REDMANS CUBE

REDMANS CUBE Fire Shrimp

i dont know if this has to be said. but i will anyway. make sure the trash can is plastic and wash is really well before using. but with that being said, it would have to be some special kind of metal trash can that could hold water!

5. target001

target001 Skunk Shrimp

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i didn't have to use a heater when i mixed my saltwater because i kept it in the room with my chiller it stay a nice 86 degrees in there.

7. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

took words outta my mouth!! karma!;)

8. Click Here!

9. Stevet86

Stevet86 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Got a large plastic storage container and mix everything up with an old mag 5 sitting around. I put a spout on the bottom of the container to drain it all into a bucket when finished.

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

might want to think about a water sensor/alarm if you are going to be like me and forget to turn off your RO/DI unit. I have done this way too many times...turn on the unit and go on my merry way...and forget about it until the next day! :eek:. Of course the basement is flooded but that is not a big deal as it is not finished...what is a big deal is the powerstrip that is by it and the washer and dryer that is plugged in near it!

Also make sure you do not have a hole in your can....I bought a 50g can so I could just dump a 50g bag of salt in there..pefect esp the way I go through salt water! Well I set it up...forgot about it and went down the next day and the can was empty almost but the floor was soaked. There was a tiny hole towards the bottom of the can!

11. Stevet86

Stevet86 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Been there done that with the RO/DI unit. Been several times I've gotten up from bed to turn the thing off and have water to be cleaned up the following morning. I'm gonna try one of those float shut offs and see how that goes.

12. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

I've learned the hard way as well- I set an alarm in the kitchen (could even use a timer on the oven) for a few hours or however long you want to let the RODI unit run for. At least that way you don't have to be constantly be checking your watch- or for the worst, have to clean up the great flood :p