What to use to glue frags?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Bucsfan, Sep 30, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bucsfan

Bucsfan Flamingo Tongue

What is the BEST product or products to use when gluing frags to the rocks? I have used Aqua Stix and bsi Ic-Gel separately and with each other, without any real or consistent success. When I glue a frag to a rock, I want it to stay there! There must be a better product out there. What is it please?

2. Click Here!

3. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Are you trying to glue in the water or out of the water?

4. Bucsfan

Bucsfan Flamingo Tongue

Sometimes, I am able to pull the rock out to glue, but most of the time, I am gluing under water.

5. mdbostwick

Super glue gel works well you just have to be quick about it if using it underwater. I prefer Locktite

6. mdbostwick

7. Bucsfan

Bucsfan Flamingo Tongue

Thanks for your help. I love this forum. I'll be at Home Depot tomorrow.

mdbostwick likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I buy big packs of cheap super glue from Harbor Freight.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-high-strength-super-glue-68345.html
    And
    I use the aquastik when needed. Sometimes I use gravel as a filler so the aquastik will last longer.
    If attaching to a rock in a weird place sometimes I may put the aquastick down first if it can't support the weight make an impression with the frag where it will sit. Let the aquastik harden then come back and glue it to the place I made the impression.

10. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

A lot of people have really good luck using a mix of epoxy and glue. You create a base on the coral frag and a base on the rock with epoxy, then glue both sides of the epoxy and press together and hold tight for a good minute or two. By creating a base with epoxy, you create a much better surface for the glue to bond to. Locktite makes a great reef safe epoxy. As for glue, my favorite has to be either seachem's or the reef super glue gel by crystal clear aquatics.

Servillius likes this.
  11. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I use glue and epoxy and am yet to have one fail yet. I start by mixing up a piece of epoxy large enough to hold the frag. Next put some super glue gel on your epoxy ball and press it onto the rock where you want the frag to be. Give the glue a couple of minutes to set. Finally put some glue on the frag and press it into the epoxy. The epoxy conforms to the rock and the frag leaving big contact patches of much thinner, and stronger, glue in between.

Servillius likes this.
  12. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang