What to put under stand to protect hardwood floors

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Jmblec2, Mar 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

I built my stand, but I considered my wood floors when I did such.

I siliconed the entire perimeter of my stand with clear aquarium silicone- no water can get under it.

works great for one exception- the silicone works so well that the finish is just slightly different (where the silicone was) when/if you move the aquarium- but a few good cleanings- no problem found.

As for water drips- heh- I have two dogs, they make a bigger mess, I just use an old towel.

2. Click Here!

3. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

hahaha, thats what i told my wife::)

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

its not too bad. I flood all the time over 8 years.

5. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i have flooded twice :( the tank is on short legs so i can get under it to wipe any water off the floor. both times at night while sleeping... real nice to wake up to. the one flood was bad the floor looked damaged, but since than the floor has pulled back into shape, but i do see a few spots that arent perfect as it was when it was put down 2 years ago.

the sooner you get the water up the better. a flood sensor is a good idea. at least if your home sleeping an alarm wakes you to let you know of the flood. flood sensor are cheap 30-50 dollars from what im seeing, some are very small. my wood floor is on top of cement, so the water just sat there and the wood had a chance to soak it up for a few hours. if i had the flood sensor it would have saved the little damage i did end up with. i actually just seen these and plan on ordering one, after i look at a few and decide which one i feel is best.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011