What to put under stand to protect hardwood floors

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Jmblec2, Mar 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Just like the titled says. What do people use has a protective mat or carpet to put under the stand/tank to protect hardwood floors from water? Does anyone have experience with this or have any suggestions?

thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Bump for those with hardwood floors.

4. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i have small felt furniture pads on the feet. dont put a carpet because it will absorb any water that drops and keep it against the wood floor, which will cause damage for sure. its best to have air flow.

5. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

My biggest problem with the floors is after sticking my arm in the tank for whatever reason I drip all over the place. It dries, but there is salt everywhere and wifey isn't happy. Either keep a towel close by or put a mat in front of the tank (or both).

I agree that putting anything but felt pads under it will more likely do more harm than good.

6. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Maybe a bath matt style that has rubber underneath?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

7. destinationluna

destinationluna Skunk Shrimp

I have the same problem with drips on the floors what I do is use window cleaner for cars. It is made with rubbing alcohol so its safe to use on your glass aquarium to clean it as well. You can make your own too by adding a small bottle of rubbing alcohol to RO/DI. It will take the salt off the floor it will also dry very quickly and not harm the floor.

As for the tank on the hardwood floor I cut a very heavy gadge piece of plastic mat you can use one of those mats from office max that is used for rolling your computer chair on carpet. Just cut it to fit under your stand and bam you have a barrier in between your carpet/hardwood/tile. I also drilled fine holes it the bottom of my stand for ventilation if water does spill it will slowly dry. This is not saying what this will do to the bottom of the stand. But a good acrylic paint should stand just about anything you can throw at it.

8. Click Here!

9. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

I like to use yoga mats ;p

10. tinnghe

tinnghe Purple Spiny Lobster

I use the stuff that they have at the bathroom try call dri dek. They give the stand and the floor a small space. This will allow water to dry if it got on the floor. This will protect the hardwood.

11. monster

monster Bristle Worm

I just use an old towel and drop it on he ground where I will be working. When I am done I just hang it out to dry.

12. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Spot refinishing the wood floors when you move has always been my plan ;-)