What to put in a fluval 304

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by m_lacom99, Apr 4, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Hey all, hope you had a good weekend. :D

My question is... My girlfriend has a fluval 304 hooked up on her 20gal reef. But right now its empty (no media in it). She wants to keep it for water circulation so what should i put in it. I have some crushed coral gravel that im not using, could that be a good thing to put in there? Personally i want to take it out as soon as she has enough LR in the tank. Plus its making all kinds of noises, need to change a couple of parts i guess. But she wants to keep it so...... ;)

What can i stick in there.

Thanks.

Marc.

2. Click Here!

3. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

No one can help me???? :( come on theres got to be someone out there with an opinion ;)

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I would leave it empty. And I agree with you "get rid of it".

You could run Carbon or filter floss but in the end it will create nitrates with floss in it. You could I guess put bio balls in it? But I don't think CC or Sand would be of any use.

J

5. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Thanks J... right now theres only about 15 lbs of LR in the tank but as soon as i take my 55gal appart ill load it up with about 25 - 30 lbs of LR. What im worried about is will that much live rock be enough... its a small system (20gal), theres a skimmer on it right now but im just worried that it may need more filtration... i just dont know.

Thanks

Marc.

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

It's really going to depend on what type of fish and how loaded she will have the tank. I would say anywhere between 20 and 30 lbs should do it as long as there isn't a Grouper, Trigger and Puffer in there ;)

J

7. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Well heres her fish list as of yet... she already has 2 small ocellaris less than 1 inck each. She wants a 6 line wrasse, a Yellowhead Jawfish and a firefish. Is that to much.. She'll be nice and listen so if its to much she will remove fish from the list or change for something else. Plus we plan in the future of adding a small sump/fuge on the tank.

Thanks J

Marc.

8. Click Here!

9. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

I wouldn't keep more than 4 fish in a 20g tank if you already have 2 clown fish IMHO. I have 7 fish in a 120 FOWLR and thats pushing it given the size of my fish!

10. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Thanks Raven. Shes just gonna have to choose then.

Marc.