What to look on Live Rock?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Green_Clavulari, Oct 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Green_Clavulari

Green_Clavulari Spaghetti Worm

I was wondering if there is a safe way with Live Rock. Is there anything that we can pinpoint what to look for? or is it just invisible that we can't really tell at all if they actually bring those bad stuff?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Aiptasia
    Majano
    Hydroids
    Flatworms
    Bryopsis
    Turf algae

4. kriv4o

kriv4o Astrea Snail

+1 on the post above. Also depending on the size of LR chunks we must consider all the things that might hide in it like mantis shrimps, pistol shrimps, various worms etc.

5. Green_Clavulari

Green_Clavulari Spaghetti Worm

Thank you for the response guys. I am so concerned about those pests. Is there a way to safely use those LR? how about those premium rock?

6. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

premium rock is the same IMO they just charge more

why live though? are you looking for somthing cool and diffrent?

7. kriv4o

kriv4o Astrea Snail

If I was starting a new system I would definitely start with dry rock and wait for it to cycle properly. That way there are no surprises. And you are 100% what goes in your tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Personally, I love to see what shows up on LR...I've scored some nice freebies: snails, crabs, coral, macro algae.

If you're worried about BW's and the like, give the LR a hypersalinity (SG = 1.040+) dip for about 10 mins. Most critters will vacate the LR, then you can sort thru the bottom of the bucket and pick out the critters you want to keep.

Alternatively, you can give the rock a dip in carbonated water...this will drive out many of the "bad" motile critters that may be hiding in the rock. It will, however, kill off some of the beneficial bacteria, which will need to regrow as it cures or the tank cycles.

HTH

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

That's great information on the hypersalinity. I hadn't heard or read that before.