what to look for in a test kit

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by jack frost, Aug 31, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jack frost

jack frost Astrea Snail

I'm just getting started and was wondering which brands of test kits you guys like and what you look to test for in a FOWLR tank.

2. Click Here!

3. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

4. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I prefer Salifert or Elos, much better kits but also more expensive.
    One of the biggest things I look for is distinct color changes between the various levels. With the API liquid kits the colors are so close its hard to tell if you are there or not. With most of the salifert kits the color change is dramatic like from red to blue so its very easy to decipher.

5. jack frost

jack frost Astrea Snail

does petsmart and other chains carry this kit or is it better to order?

Thanks again!

6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Petsmart and Petco will have the API kits but usually its only the better LFS that carry Salifert or Elos.
    For just starting out and cycling a tank the API is OK but once you are into corals it pays to have the better kits.

7. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

I agree with desert rat the reason why i pointed out the cheaper test kits is cuz it a FOWLR and you really dont need it lol

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

Ive never seen lfs carry sali's. I would just buy them from aquacave.com

if your sticking with only fish, you just need the standard kits. honestly if you have a lfs that test water(specifically ammonia and nitrite during the cycle) I would just buy nitrate test kit.

if your planning for inverts or corals eventually I would get the saliferts.

10. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

REally? both of mine sell them and I'm not in a very affluent area.

With my Fowlr.. I use strips to look at Nitrate, past that, I really don't care that much. As long as they are below 50 my fish are all going to be doing great. The only time I worry is when I'm adding a new fish, the higher the nutrient level, the more careful I am acclimating. Fowlr's have a lot of room for error. It's a great way to start in the hobby.

11. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I guess I'm a little anal. I feel my fish and live rock deserve no less water quality than corals do. Fish are a higher life form than corals and I have had many live past 13 years by taking care of them. If you are going to do it, do it right the first time. It alwasy ends up, even though its FOWLR today, you will see the perfect coral for that little shelf of rock you built, or a better light fixture, then its on to SPS and before long what started out as a simple FOWLR is a full blown reef. You will be ready for that!