What to feed my fish

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by LCP136, Jan 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

To this point, I've been feeding a cube of mysis and a small amount of cyclopeeze every day, and every couple days OmegaOne flakes for HUFAs and Spirulina along with Formula 2 for the Tangs and Coral Beauty. I've been reading recently that it would be better to go with more dry foods. I've read about sinking pellets. Does anyone have any recommendations for good dry foods? I think feeding all this frozen may be contributing to my algae problem.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

A cube is a lot of food! I feed about 1/5 of a cube every other day in my 55. Plus the extra stuff. It is good to have a variety, but I would cut back on the amount. Fish will eat anytime they can, it's their nature. Dry foods also have a lot of unwanted nutrients, so too much of anything will give you an algae problem.

4. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

Heres my 2 cents on this.... I have had many alge blooms due to over feeding.. Most blooms i have had are from the Preservitives found in the frozen food varitites... Wich gave me the oh so loveable cyno outbreak along with the whole family tree of alge.. I use the frozen food now may half to less than half a cube of frozen per 3 days...and flake.. between and also use Wardley's Sinking Shrimp pellets as a treat every 5 or so days...Not only the tangs eat them but make my shrimp collection and hermit's go crazy..!! Keep in mind i only drop like 5 pellets in my 70 gal every 5 days... And every reefer needs this ... Good Luck...!!!

5. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

thats a whole lot of food...i dont use manufacted foods, i only use froozen and i would say mabye a thrid of cube of my own mixture everyother to three days. but thats also us that to feed my corals as well as my fish (three open brains, black sunburst and candy canes)

6. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

I always dissolve the frozen mysis cubes in water, then I dump the water before feeding. I think I read it somewhere, if not then Im just wasting my time ;D.

7. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

i do a simlar thing, wonder if that helps to get rid of the persevatives in the frozen food. i just do it so i can feed more food per syringe feeding

8. Click Here!

9. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I realize this is a lot of food now. If I cut back on feeding, will my algae cut back? Also, my 90 is heavily stocked with a Yellow Tang, a Yellow Eye Kole Tang, 2 Ocellaris Clowns, a Royal Gramma, an Algae Blenny, a 6 Line Wrasse, a Coral Beauty, and 2 Clown Gobies. Together with a blood shrimp and 2 skunk shrimp they put down a cube of mysis in less than the recommended 3 minutes. However, I will cut back on feeding. Other suggestions?

Oh, and, washing off the food does help get rid of some preservatives and unwanted proteins that would just dissolve into the water.

10. t4zalews

t4zalews Flamingo Tongue

I'm very simple...if the fish eat it, and its good for them, don't change anything. I feed my tank a lot, only because my fish CHOW DOWN on anything I put in the tank. Any food I introduce is gone in about a minute. Anything not eaten is free game for the hermits, starfish, lobster.